Hemlock & Lace
Swimming Tides - Printable Version

+- Hemlock & Lace (https://hemlock.rpginit.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Vufrien (https://hemlock.rpginit.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: The Wilds (https://hemlock.rpginit.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Swimming Tides (/showthread.php?tid=21)

Swimming Tides - Tethys - 02-22-2022

Moon-kissed waves, siren's beckon
High tide had rolled in was waves pushed further into the beach soaking the sands, washing away any print that tread by. The sun had since gone, painting the skies in rich navy and countless stars scattered the evening canvas above. With them the moon at crescent peak danced high overhead, highlighting the whitecaps of ebbing waves coming and going. A breathy content sigh exhaled from sun-kissed lips as nimble limbs waded through the salted waters several yards away from the shore.  A day had ended, a new one to start anew soon whenever the sun decided to peer its way through the horizons once again. A new day and a day that would perhaps continue with its mundane endeavors. Though for now, Tethys could savor her union with the ocean in the welcomed solitude. Glacier eyes closed as Tethys submerged herself, head falling back and listening to rush of water fill her ears.

There was weightlessness as she dove further ways, letting the currently briefly tease in gently tugs and pulls. It was a shame, really. If only she could remain beneath the surface, listening to the white noise of passing marine life, the bubbles forming and popping in such a magical swirl around her – Oh if only, if only the woodpecker sings. If she could just get away from the everything. But wouldn't she be running again? "You'd hate that Kreios, wouldn't you?" she whispers a brother's name with a disheartened smile. 

It wasn’t long before Tethys would return to the surface. Water pooling down tanned features as they rolled down every fine curve and detail upon the feminine frame. No sooner was she making her way back to the shore too. Sand eventually clinging to her just as her blue-streaked hair until she would find a means to pull it back into a messy updo, to keep it from her face. The moon managed to catch glimpses of the piercing in her ears as well as her nose as well as the two upon her bare chest.

Though after moments of her feet finding the purchase of sand her legs grew tired between the transition of a weightless ocean and the gravity of the earth. She couldn’t help with the chuckle escaping her lips as she flopped on her knees, feeling the white caps tickle her toes. Glacial sights befell her belongings, the strings of beads that would've been dressed in her hair, removed in the fear of ruin.  "I suppose," she sighs to herself, rising to finally collect her things, dusting what sand she could remove from her body. "I should head back to prepare for another tomorrow." 

Jahi

RE: Swimming Tides - Lif - 02-26-2022

Black Hearted Angels Sunk Me With Kisses on My Mouth
There's Poison In This Water, the Words Are Falling Out 
This Air Is Getting So Thin
Go Down, Go Down, Go Down

There was a comfort to be found by the sea. The tides rocked without reason or rhyme, only a steady beat that allowed a consistency long lost to his life. In truth, the last time he had true order or even the semblance of it had probably been before he could rightly remember. The fear and desolation of his family's mad run from Crue Efros was tainted and warped with the fresh onslaught of emotions and dangers that as a spoiled child he'd never once come to be exposed to. Never in his youth had he to wonder about food, when his next meal would be. Never did he have to ponder if they would have the glisten of coin to procure him clothes with which not to freeze during the long winter months. That in its own right smacked of naivety. It had made him seem far more pompous than he truly was. His recollections of those young days had faded to make room for newer ones. For disdain. For resentment. For the quiet thirst in the back of his mind for revenge.

In truth, those thoughts had been stoked like flames in more recent days. Not against the original people who had done it - not exactly anyways - but more for the undead. For the old relatives that turned their backs on their purpose to bury their heads in gold like an ostrich would the sand. If they had simply kept up with their duties, perhaps Émilienne Kaplan would have never been. Or perhaps she would simply be locked in a tomb somewhere, ashes, as she should be. His father would have known how to fight them, he wouldn't have grown soft and would have had the strength he needed. He would have still been alive. His mother wouldn't have had to remarry. He wouldn't be a 'bastard' now.

The thoughts soured.
He frowned.
And in his drunken stupor he was glad he'd recently pissed on their front doorstep.

Foggy glare softened vaguely as he observed the rippling surface of the calm waves, completely unaware of the stranger on the nearby sands. He supposed it was time to sober up some, he'd most likely be heading out in a few hours and he certainly didn't want to be chased by the lingering pressure of a hangover. So it was he'd waded out knee deep into the water, ignoring it sloshing and swirling within his boots and tugging against the legs of his pants. Ungracefully, he would faceplant into the coming wave, allowing the striking cold to shock his thoughts into something of coherency.

As he resurfaced, gaze slightly more clear would sway around his surroundings, hands running over his face, freezing midway as he finally noted the others presence. Eyes remained, lilting over the exposed skin and various markings outlined and illuminated by the silvery hues of the moon. "Oh - uh - hey." The words were somewhat awkward, tinged with surprise as he rose one hand in greeting.

!

RE: Swimming Tides - Tethys - 02-26-2022

Given the hour, there was little expectation for company. Anyone else may have been tucked away in comforts of their abode nestled by candlelight to await the light of dawn.  Glacier eyes briefly took the night sky where the stars were plenty and the crescent-shaped moon hanging overhead. Lower lips curled inward, chocolate brows furrowing with hidden concern one hand absently sweeping over diagonal aged scars upon abdomen. Fabrics hung loosely in the other, whilst she listened to the thrumming chorus of ocean waves coming and going along the shoreline. Apples don’t fall far from the trees, girl. she felt momentary tug of an old anger striking its match. Moments of yesterday taunting thoughts that were logs to feed the flame.  A breath shuddered while freed hand would soon comb back the tangles of her hair until attention was soon disrupted by brackish waves tangling a silhouette within its clutches. The flame snuffed, replaced with startled confusion.

Oh-uh… Hey. Tethys blinked as if slow to process the fact of a man standing in shallow waters, while wave tossed around him. Never mind, the fact that she was out here too – in the midst of re-dressing, or, at least starting to piece her clothes back to together. If anything she was more-so surprised to see the figure of another being out tonight. “Hey.” she hummed while doing a quick once over, trying to discern if this one posed ill intent. Or perhaps he was going out for a swim? “You swim faster without clothes, on if you're going for a swim.” She pointed to the way clothes sagged, weighed down by ocean waters. Nose twitched idly catching the wiff of alcohol beneath the heaviness of ocean salt and human musk. Huh, a drink sounds nice doesn’t it?

!  

table by tempy

RE: Swimming Tides - Lif - 04-03-2022

“Hey.” Her vocals reached him over the dull, monotonous tones of the ocean waters, the tides reaching, brushing over the breadth of his calves. The rhythmic lull pressed and pulled against the tops of his boots, a feat he would loathe come the morning, along with the pounding that was sure to possess his temples with an unholy fury, but for the time being, in this moment of whimsical disregard, it was almost a comfort. The unruly, coiling strands of crimson were slowly pushed from his striking gaze before both hands would rest on his hips, a twisted smile curling his lips in playful rue. “You swim faster without clothes, on if you're going for a swim.” Her words, or perhaps a warning was met by the soft husk of a boyish laugh. "Oh, it doesn't matter if I'm swimming fast or not, does it?" The words were purred, teasing, slightly slurred.

He licked his lips, wetting them against the saline of the ocean. Sobering. Bittersweet like the sweets the shops of Kaiser sold. Ones he used to pine for as a poor boy homed in the barracks. Such a trivial delight that felt like the greatest of indulgences when he gained those few glittering coins to dirty, calloused palms. Ones he still enjoyed, but far less than those tender days of naivety. While his mother and half sibling indulged in a life of ease, that cheap, simple thing had been a luxury to him. A sourness that had tinged the candy over the years. A slow poison he still partook of just to remind himself of the way it felt. The sea was much the same: a dark and tempting option for the unwanted. A simple, beautiful way to just d i s a p p e a r.

Despite the malignant thoughts, that jackal grin of frivolous cheerfulness did not fail. "I'm not tryin' to get away from nothin'." Not anymore, at least. "'Sides, they probably needed a good wash anyways."

!

RE: Swimming Tides - Tethys - 04-03-2022

An arm pushed through the sleeve of the simply made buttoned blouse while considering this potential interaction. Greetings were already shared and conversation was slowly building just as the rising tides began to ebb in from the coastline. The fair share of drunks encountered in the town were a bordering mixture of comedy and agitation. Filters were just as loose as their drunken mouths and their postures sloppy and uncoordinated. Some drank their problems away while others became the problem. Oh, it doesn’t matter if I’m swimming fast or not, does it? A dark brow rose above her ice-colored irises. Observation carved the stark red hair that contrasted against the night air. Sopping clothes clinging to his fitted form as he sloughed through the white-capped waves. I’m not tryin’ to get away from nothin’. Tethys bit back the laughter of disbelief.

Sides, they probably needed a good wash anyways. A comedic. Her conclusion came as she pulled her buttoned blouse over her other arm finally. Fabric clinging to damp skin as she adjusted it to her slender form. “You almost sound sober.” she jested, adjusting her sleeves. “Though the ocean does leave a welcoming scent to ones clothes, I suppose.” There was always something to get away from at the end of the day, came the musing thoughts. Perhaps the monotony of mundane labor. Nagging members of the family, or the search of solitude in the midst of chaos.

!

table by tempy

RE: Swimming Tides - Lif - 04-05-2022

She didn't seem in a hurry to redress, a comfort to her movements, but not slow and deliberate. Not teasing, but placated. She was either far more dangerous than she would appear at a mere glance, or perhaps she was too trusting of the nature of the one she found herself before. Maybe it was the thought that he was slow, that the ocean would put distance between the two of them should he show signs of aggression. She wasn't vampiric, the medallion tucked safely against his chest whispered as much to him. In its silence, it reassured that she wasn't of the undead, the lack of wistful humming all the prelude he needed. A wolf then, perchance.  “You almost sound sober.” he allowed a slight chuckle to pull from his lips as he offered a slight, lazy shrug to roll his shoulders. His musings ground to a halt, a haze through the intoxication and the disinterest in unraveling the tales of who or what she was. Wayward and naïve. Strong and confident. It mattered little to him, in the end. "What can I say? I've had plenty of practice."

He found himself wanting to simply fall back into the cadence of the tide rising around him. To drift along the gentle hum of the waves and let them carry him to wherever the sea deemed most fit. An idle inclination that common sense begged him to think twice about. That voice of reason was becoming clearer, and if the steady pulse he could feel in his temples now told him anything, it was that his round of drinks was beginning to wear off far sooner than he'd hoped or planned. “Though the ocean does leave a welcoming scent to ones clothes, I suppose.” So she liked the salt spray, hm? Maybe she came down to this section of beach often under the moonlight. There was a chance that she had even made her main stay somewhere nearby. His father had told him once upon a time that the sea stirred two very different feelings within people: comfort or fear. Just like he, she seemed to be of the former variety. "Come down here often then? Water a friend of yours?" The askance was innocent enough as he idly watched her, his head tilting slightly as his fingers curled into a fist to prop his chin on. Lips forming almost a slight pout, though it was light in nature. "Live around here? Or, well, Kaiser, I guess? Been there awhile now, but I don't ever 'member seein' you around."

!

RE: Swimming Tides - Tethys - 04-05-2022

If her mother were here, her face would’ve been red with humility. Her father in demands to move faster to dress tossing a few colorful words in the mix, her older sister laughing in hysterics while her younger brother would try to quell the situation to the best of his ability. What can I say. I’ve had plenty of practice. Tethys shook her head in the light slurring humor despite the curiosity that tugged the back of her head. Regardless of the circumstance she was never one to catch on so quickly in the matters of social cues but she wasn’t entirely daft either while the remains of her clothes were returned to her form, clinging to damp skin. Come down here often then?

Dark brows rose upon sun-kissed features as her shoulders rolled with pseudo vague gestures. Water a friend of yours? “I’d like to think so.” She mused with an amicable, lazy grin. “I come down here as often as I can though. It’s nice to get away from the monotony of the every-day.” Tethys found herself rolling to a sit, weight shifting in the sand just enough to be comfortable. She’d always been drawn to the water. Be it the ocean, a river, lake or even a rolling little stream. The water could also be playful and mischievous but also – “It’s a nice escape, the water simply listens and never judges, I guess.” she waved her hand as if a means to dismiss the subject before it grew too sentimental. Live around here? Or well, Kaiser, I guess? Been there awhile now, but I don’t ever ‘member seein’ you around.

“I run a shop in Kaiser.” Her palms found the sand on either side in a leisured pose. “I sell meats and hides and some little odds and end trinkets, could come by sometime if you want.” the offer was a harmless one. The company she often received were either the elderly or the pompous, self-entitled folk who made it difficult to keep a friendly through the rest of the day. “I live in a cottage along the outskirts of the wilds, not a far travel to Kaiser.” Not exactly ideal, but it was an easier commute to and from work. “What about you?”

!

table by tempy

RE: Swimming Tides - Lif - 04-06-2022

“I’d like to think so.” He listened as she spoke, her soft smile pulling across her lips in reverence to an old acquaintance. “I come down here as often as I can though. It’s nice to get away from the monotony of the every-day.” He nodded his agreement. He agreed with the sentiment. Entirely, whole-heartedly. She finished redressing herself, but instead of just leaving, she shifted her weight to settle in a sit within the sands, those absent now the warmth of the sun, dark and swirling with the brush of moisture and the silvery splendor of the moon's cool illumination. “It’s a nice escape, the water simply listens and never judges, I guess.” Another slight bob of his head. A simple understanding they had, but she waved her hand as if to dismiss the subject, another thing he was content to just let be.

Instead, she continued with his last inquiry. “I run a shop in Kaiser.” That was a bit of a surprise, though, he had to admit that the only shops he visited were often those that sold alcohol of some level. After a job well done (especially if it paid well at that) he would often times 'treat' himself to a nice dinner at the local tavern. His favorite was the one that served the honey cinnamon mead, a taste that almost had him drooling at its recollection. How long had it been since he'd had some of it? Too long, he'd wager, though, again, it was always too long in his earnest opinion. “I sell meats and hides and some little odds and end trinkets, could come by sometime if you want.” A thoughtful hum departed him at that. "Do you do the hunting yourself?" he inquired. Curious to know how much of the wilds she had personally explored. Perhaps stumbled upon an interesting rumor or two in her time abroad. Work. Work for honey cinnamon mead.

“I live in a cottage along the outskirts of the wilds, not a far travel to Kaiser.” A cottage in the woods did sound like it  had its charms. A cozy, quiet place that many of his kindred would now live in fear of. Cattle, sheep corralled and housed within the protection of walls that now made them feel safe from the proverbial wolves outside. Sheltered by the true ones that surrounded them. The very same mentality that had made them feel far too comfortable in Crue Efros. “What about you?” He shrugged slightly in answer to begin with before explanation found him. "I don't have a place. I travel too much. Work takes me between nations, but I'd say Kaiser is the closest thing to a home I have. Allllways find myself findin' my way back here." His fingers interlaced behind his head, stretching slightly. "Name's Lif, by the way."

!

RE: Swimming Tides - Tethys - 04-07-2022

She hadn’t meant to allow the mood to grow somber. All he’d asked was in regard to the ocean and her relationship with it. Despite the potential dampened mood, Tethys was honest with expressing her fondness to the vast open sea. If not for fishing, then to just immerse herself in its natural choir. Digits curled into the sands, feeling the grains pool between each finger. It was cooled since the sun had long since set teased by ocean breeze that managed to send a chill along her back, still damp from the swim.

Tethys shared with him of the shop she ran within Kaiser. It’d been around for a little while judging by her math. An inheritance of sorts that was suppose to go to her brother. Realistically she wanted nothing to do with the shop. It only stayed open because business seemed steady and her morale was what forced her to keep it open.Do you do the hunting yourself? The question rang, while she absently toyed with grains. “Yeah,” the reply came simply. “The hunting, the cleaning, all of it really come to think of it.” really acknowledging just how much work was put into it.

At least home was relatively close then – the commute even, between the shop and her home. I don’t have a place. Her icy gaze lifted to the man, an implication she was listening still. I travel too much. Work takes me between nations, but I’d say Kaiser is the closest thing to a home I have. Alllllways find myself findin’ my way back here. Tethys chuckled slightly, “It’s funny how life works like that,” Legs folded crisscross in her sit, “I never planned on settling, yet here I am.” She laughed.

Name’s Lif, by the way.” Introductions finally came. “Tethys.” she corresponded with an amicable smile. “Your work sounds a little more exciting than running a silly little shop.”

!

table by tempy