Hemlock & Lace
Marigolds and Sunflowers - Printable Version

+- Hemlock & Lace (https://hemlock.rpginit.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Vufrien (https://hemlock.rpginit.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Kaisermont (https://hemlock.rpginit.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Marigolds and Sunflowers (/showthread.php?tid=477)

Pages: 1 2

Marigolds and Sunflowers - Sonata - 08-08-2023

Renovations to the quaint little school building were already underway. New beams replaced old, rotting ones while new glass replaced windows that had cracks or holes in them. With students on break, left the maiden to her own devices. The lesson plans were made both for public and private lessons which in turn gave her too much time on her hands. “Please put the Marigolds along the sidewalk by the entrance with the sunflowers.” Came the gentle instruction, guiding the gardeners to the desired destination.  Ears twitched as she listened to the sound of hammers drumming against wood and stone. Finding abandoned tools, Sonata took it upon herself to assist further. 

“Oh! Miss! Please come down from there!” One of the workers pleaded, soon finding her up top the roof readily at work.  Sonata only paused, a blank expression forming her features as she glanced down to see the panicked architect waving her down. She merely smiled her warm grin and waved back at her leisure before setting back to work. She did so feeling obligated. It felt wrong just puttering around doing nothing when she could be at work as she was now. Keeping herself busy. Something to share when she would make another trip to the cemetery again to read to her late son and share her experiences of the day.

The workers down below scratched their heads, looking at one another as if trying to determine whether or not it was worth the time to at least coax her down. “She’s not comin’ down ‘til the reno’s done.” One of the older crewmembers implored, lighting his pipe. “She’s just as determined if not more so than that dead husband of hers. Shouldn’ left your shit lying around either, now quit gawking and get back to work.”

Golden gaze met with the tired dark hazel ones of the senior. She could see his annoyance though knew well there would be no convincing her. Tying her hair back in a loose braid she merely grinned knowing exactly what she had done – and quickly went back to the roof repairs.

Jahi

RE: Marigolds and Sunflowers - Noctum - 09-21-2023

He had heard of a small school and orphanage within the town, and had been mulling his list for quite some time. He could think of no better time than when renovations had commenced to offer his donation of proceeds to the staff. He was an avid collector of all things, big and small, but none were more so than the various pages of his library. However, time had given him several copies of the same tome, not to mention that he, personally, held little care for children's books and picture galleries. He supposed that younger minds and smaller hands would have more thrills with the carefully curated pieces than he himself, or many of those that did wander into the building.

He was running a bit behind schedule today, so it left him a smidgeon of piqued annoyance when he finally did find the building. It wasn't extremely far from the library, no, but if he'd have known the distance he certainly would have paid for a carriage instead of dealing with the tiredness that seeped into his arms from carrying the rather large and heavy box all this way. He was even more perturbed by the hustle and bustle of the work crew, scrunching up his nose vaguely at the menagerie of sound that assaulted his senses. It was far too bright and too loud out here to suite his tastes.

He had to war with himself not to simply place down the books and leave them for someone to find to escape the headache of the boisterous crew. However, he had to remind himself that he had a need to support himself here now, and without regular patrons he risked losing at least part of his collection to billers and tax collectors. A gamble he was not privy to take. So, he approached the doors, but found no one immediately inside. Upon askance, he was finally appointed to the woman atop a roof nonetheless. His brow furrowed, an expression he tried to rid himself of before he called out to her. "Miss, I've brought some books." He lacked his brother's gift for gab, and still found himself pinning straight to the point. "Would you mind to come down and see if you would like any for the children here?"
Jahi

RE: Marigolds and Sunflowers - Sonata - 09-21-2023

She was no stranger to working tools and the craft behind it. She worked the hammer as if she’d been working with one for years. While her movements were quick, nails were driven in cleanly and planks aligned evenly. If something was amiss, instead of asking, she went out of her way to search or solve whatever it was on her own despite the digressions of those around her as if they feared her safety. “Oh, that window will go over there!” She advised from atop her perch upon the constructing roof. Golden sunrise gaze watched as the men began to position the framing and like a curious canine she was attentative while continuing aligning the planks that would make the roof.

Miss, a strangers voice rang, I’ve brought some books. Her curiosity instantly piqued as she paused mid-hammering. Attention searched to find the stranger with a haul of what looked like a large book of literature. Would you mind to come down and see if you would like any for the children here? Sonata relinquished the hammer to another patron working the roof and clumsily scrambled back down to solid ground. She straightened out the work clothes she had pieced together, wiping the sweat that glistened from her brow.

“Books?” was all a breathless chime managed to escape before realizing how irrationally improper she felt. “Ah – my apologies good sir, My name is Sonata – I am the teacher here at this school.” she cleared her throat and stumbling over her words in an attempt to greet the stranger. Her gaze shifted curiously to the large box filled to the brim with various children’s books. With care she took one from the top and traced the cover with the tips of her fingers. It looked to be in good condition – as if well cared for. From what she could gather, most of them appeared in the same shape. It was a plethora of books. Stories and lessons that could be shared endlessly.

“If I may, do you have a price for all of them?”

Jahi

RE: Marigolds and Sunflowers - Noctum - 11-25-2023

He wasn't sure who he had been expecting, but he was certain he had pictured the director of the class here as an older woman. Perhaps it was bold of him, but he certainly wouldn't have pinned the title on the shoulders of someone who appeared to be so...  young. Not with her beautiful sunflower gold gaze that eagerly tore away at the box within his grasp. He shifted it within his hold, allowing its lip to tip more towards her inquisitive attention.

“Books?” She was enthusiastic, so very unlike the image and personality that his imagination had crafted of her. She didn't have tightly pinned back hair, nor was she wearing a stiff pinstriped dress that covered the entirety of her throat and wisped about her ankles. Instead, her silver hair tumbled freely upon her sweat dampened brow, and her attire reflected those around her - albeit somewhat poorly, he would stiffly add. “Ah – my apologies good sir, My name is Sonata – I am the teacher here at this school.” He would give a nod in greeting, somewhat awkwardly shifting the container he'd deigned to pack the stories within so as to extend a hand to shake. "A pleasure, ma'am. Noctum," he would allow his own name to drift from his lips. "I suppose I'm the town librarian." While there was a plethora in Odersten proper, thus far it seemed that the port town was void of such luxuries other than himself. While his shelves didn't strictly adhere to books, it would strike them differently than any of the lofty establishments within the capitol. After all, he felt certain that many could not brave or embrace the depths that he plunged to to extract many of his oddities.

“If I may, do you have a price for all of them?” He would clear his throat, and despite himself, a slight flush would dampen his cheeks. "P-Price? No, no price." He would stammer the words lightly, brow furrowing. Alas, he would simply settle the box onto the ground for her to peruse at her leisure, shaking his arm in hopes to once again limber it up. "I've brought them as donation. However, any of them you already possess, I would happily return to their shelves."
Jahi

RE: Marigolds and Sunflowers - Sonata - 11-26-2023

Sonata would have been lying if she didn’t say she was the least bit excited for the books. She had butterflies swirling in her stomach with how much excitement she had but all the same struggling to maintain decent composure at the number of books that had been brought to her.  The donor introduced himself as Noctum – a librarian. Her face lit up at the mention of his labor of trade. “Oh, that sounds utterly delightful!” To spend ones day in a place filled to the brim with adventure, new stories or even music to discover and knowledge to absorb.

Her curiosity bested her and would idly sift through the hefty box. They were stacked neatly and with obvious care. Certainly, books such as these had a price hanging over them? P-Price? No, no price. Sunrise gaze shot up at him with surprise and disbelief. I’ve brought them as donation. However, any of them you already possess, I would happily return to their shelves.

“I—” Sonata was dumbfounded. At a loss for words and even while the construction and renovations on the school itself was big, she knew that she still lacked many of the basics that other more… well off schools had. “I do not think a mere ‘thank you’ would be enough to express my gratitude—..”  There was one peculiar book that caught her eye as she slowly retrieved it. Tales from Shakespeare. Emotion cracked her voice to which she quickly cleared her throat. “My students will be so elated to have new books to read.” She smiled. 

“I’ll be sure that these books are as well cared for, sir. Though… surely, I can compensate you for your troubles? I noticed there was no carriage parting upon your arrival—” And several books did prove to be heavy to carry without making several trips. “Have you eaten? The crew will be taking lunch soon— perhaps I can buy you a meal?”

Jahi

RE: Marigolds and Sunflowers - Noctum - 11-28-2023

He watched as the woman dug through the box he had decided to (somewhat painfully) part with. There was a bloom of pride within his chest as she sorted through his pilfered treasures and restored pages. While he no longer needed such low level reading material, and even though he had multiple copies of some of them, it still posed some difficulty for him to truly release them to new ownership. Though everything he ever did let go of had claw marks. In a sense it was akin to giving a piece of himself away, though he harbored doubt that many within this town would understand such remorseful sentiments. He was also accustomed to such negligence, however. His own family was rife with it.

At least she seemed truly grateful for his sacrifice. “I—” she would begin, “I do not think a mere ‘thank you’ would be enough to express my gratitude—..” Were he a bird, he'd have preened at her praise, his breast would have puffed and his plumage ruffled. As he was, however, his features would merely redden slightly, and a faint pout would mar his features to keep himself looking at least somewhat... humbled.

Distraction came in the form of her quickly grabbing one of the well tended spines. He couldn't help but note the intensity with which she peered at the tome, at the overwhelming feeling that perched itself within her throat before she tried to chase it away. Curiosity lingered within the vibrancy of his stare as he lightly cupped his cheek within his palm, eyes washing over the book. It was one that he did indeed have several of and for a time he pondered exactly what it was that entranced her so about this one. However, the askance would be momentarily lost as she continued. “My students will be so elated to have new books to read.” And she smiled, a simper that matched her eyes, gilded petals drifting demurely upon the breeze on a warm, sunny day. A drastic comparison to the depths which he dove to find comfort. "I am glad, I hope they enjoy them."

“I’ll be sure that these books are as well cared for, sir. Though… surely, I can compensate you for your troubles? I noticed there was no carriage parting upon your arrival—” If he could have asked for any payment, certainly that would have been enough. His fingers coiled upon one another to halt his grasping one final time at the pages. He knew them by heart, he told himself. They are no different than the copies he had back in the shelves at home, he reminded himself. “Have you eaten? The crew will be taking lunch soon— perhaps I can buy you a meal?” That, brought a slight grin to his features, an irony in and of itself. "No, I haven't. Not yet." A humor all his own, one that he alone would probably find the least bit amusing. "Lunch does sound nice, however, I did merely bring these as a donation, so I would pay for my own. I would not be adverse to the company, though, if you truly are interested. Also should your class be curious as to where they come from and you wish to bring them by, I would not be opposed to showing them my collections."
Jahi

RE: Marigolds and Sunflowers - Sonata - 12-01-2023

It was already settled in the school-teacher’s mind that a mere thanks would never suffice. Her golden sunrise gaze would linger upon the text inscribed across the cover of the book she unknowingly held so tightly. Her mind wandering astray to her plans for the evening. A trip after the days labors came to a close and the carpentry and architects had parted for the eve and she could slip away to the burial grounds. She would have been lying if she said she wasn’t excited to share these current events. I am glad, her attention returned to the librarian, I hope they enjoy them.

Her expression softened and warmed, even more excited to share with her students these scriptures and tales they had yet to adventure. So far, the reconstruction had been going well and the donated books were the icing on the cake, or so the saying goes. Sonata offered compensation by providing lunch just as she noticed that many of the laborers began to take their breaks, perched on banisters and support beams. Lunch does sound nice, If she were in her more… feral form, her tail would have been wagging like an eager-to-please welp. however, I did merely bring these as a donation, so I would pay for my own. her shoulders dropped slightly feeling the sting of defeat begin to surface.

I would not be adverse to the company, though, if you truly are interested. Her ears twitched slightly, mood perking. Also should your class be curious as to where they come from and you wish to bring them by, I would not be opposed to showing them my collections. Sonata’s face lit like the lighting of a festive tree. “That's brilliant,” she awed with delight. “They will be eager, I think.” She gently then placed the book back to accompany the rest in the box. Perhaps she could arrange a craft day then, knowing all too well her younger crowd would be eager to shower their donor with gifts of their little drawings.

“There is a café just around the corner here, it’s a quaint little place.” she mused. “An older woman runs it. She can be a little coy sometimes.” Sonata chuckled. “But her sandwhiches are delightful.”

Jahi

RE: Marigolds and Sunflowers - Noctum - 12-28-2023

In the stories he had always read, it would often fall upon his shoulders to extend the invitation luncheon. The recollection had a slight frown tugging along his mouth as he clasped his chin lightly in consideration. Was he doing this incorrectly? It wouldn't do if he was improperly trying to forged ties. Perhaps his time would be better spent if he had asked his brother for advice in talking to the people in this town, as Gon certainly seemed to have made several friends already while Noctum's own company was occupied by the soft rustle of paper and the inanimate witnesses of objects that could offer no conversation.

Despite his time spent ashore thus far, he could nearly count on one hand the amount of words exchanged with one of the citizens beyond the simple exchanges of money and new possessions - even those he was guilty of avoiding should he have the opportunity.  A sin he needed to remedy if he was to truly plant his feet upon the solidity of earth. Sometimes it was still so very unnatural to him to wake in a home dry and warm - void of the damp and cold of engulfing water. A fate he had embraced in pursuit of different activities, those the herd didn't quite agree on. In some retrospect, he could understand their plight, their vain worries. If he continued, it would only be a matter of time before he would be followed back to their chosen home. It was the uncertainty that concerned them and made their blood freeze and boil all in the same breath. To think he could deliver harm to them. That they may have to depart to find more favorable hunting grounds should those on the soil become wary of the depths.

The few for the many, after all. “That's brilliant,” she exclaimed, her expression an endearing sort that had his own boyish simper flourishing once again. “They will be eager, I think.” He would offer a nod, "I have more than just books there." He would continue in his own excitement, pleased to have found someone he could share his enthusiasm for his possessions with. "There are also a few models I've found that showcase estuaries flowing into the sea and other such diagrams should they be a useful lesson for your students." He was uncertain of their original uses, but he had charmed them into something of a decorative fountain settled about the shelves. He considered them to be a most pleasing addition tot he atmosphere when one curled within the bench seats to lose themselves in the pages of a good story.

“There is a café just around the corner here, it’s a quaint little place.” He was drawn back to the rather large box as she placed one of the tomes back within it. "Ah, then please, allow me to move these for you. Where would you like them?" He inquired, hefting the container. Despite them no longer belonging to him, he still didn't want to leave them out to the chance of the elements or the damages of a construction zone. It would do no good to find sawdust trapped in the spines or spill out of pages themselves. “An older woman runs it. She can be a little coy sometimes.” She seemed to be familiar with the place, and he would tilt his head slightly. “But her sandwiches are delightful.” "I'll follow your recommendations. I have to admit I haven't had much in the ways of food since my arrival here."
Jahi

RE: Marigolds and Sunflowers - Sonata - 12-28-2023

To see the light ignite upon young impressionable cherubic feature stirred a warmth within her chest. New tales to read and stories to learn from or compare to the every-day. There would be much more to plan now with this new information, a new place to discover and explore. I have more than just books there, Eyes widened with a curious tilt of her skull. There are also a few models I’ve found that showcase estuaries flowing into the sea and other such diagrams should they be useful lessons for your students. Her left hand found its partnered cheeks as they rested against one another. Her expression lamented disbelief as she considered the ease of explanation with a valuable reference as opposed to her make-shift drawings (or lack thereof) She was a teacher, a musician in her free time – but most certainly posed no skill trade in the finer arts. Such impressions were gifted to her late husband. She could not count how many times her students asked what she had hoped presented a simple tree was when not even they could decipher her poorly designed examples.

“Oh, I’m almost embarrassed to admit how truly helpful that would be for certain.” she laughed nervously. “Perhaps I could write to you when we could plan accordingly?” she inquired. It would be within the new semester for certain as she ended her teachings early to start the reconstruction of the humble little school.

Shoulders would rise and fall in a humbled sigh and attention returning to the donation of books. No, she decided. A simple thank you just did not suffice the grand offering. And to allow a tour of his library to boot? She tapped an index finger against the apple of her plush cheek in idle before the topic of a meal came to surface. Though, he insisted his own purchase to which she wanted desperately to refute. Perhaps a dessert to follow then? Or perhaps she could congress with her students so that they could all express their gratitude collectively? Ah, then please, allow me to move these for you. Where would you like them? “Oh, I can carry th—” he was already in possession of the hefty box.

she relented in a hum. “Inside underneath the largest desk I think will suffice until the majority of construction is complete.” She analyzed thoughtfully. They could sit quietly tucked away but within her reach to pillage through the rest of the collection and sort out which books to discuss throughout the schoolyear. I’ll follow your recommendations. I have to admit I haven’t had much in the ways of food since my arrival here. Nati’s expression spiked once more as she clasped her hands together. “Well that is quite alright.” she offered kindly. “I cannot say I am much of a culinary expert myself, but I’d like to think my pallet is rather diverse. It’s rather exciting to try new things.” She didn’t exactly have the knowledge of a well renown chef, but she knew when something tasted good – that would suffice, right?

Jahi

RE: Marigolds and Sunflowers - Noctum - 04-20-2024

“Oh, I’m almost embarrassed to admit how truly helpful that would be for certain.” She laughed, but the sound was taunt, restrictive. It was like the few times he had tried to force himself to converse with shop keeps and the like and he'd unintentionally made them uncomfortable. Had he somehow done the same to her? Was he being forward in some manner, as he'd been accused of before? It wasn't a thing done consciously, but certainly did occur despite his efforts to better integrate himself into regular conversations. “Perhaps I could write to you when we could plan accordingly?”

She would write him?!?

He tried his best to keep his expression neutral at the idea of it, but he couldn't help the way his cheeks dusted faintly. Thus far in his time here, he hadn't had anyone to pen back and forth with. Gondrieg was certainly not one in which he could write, he had his doubts that the brute even could write or read what he'd written. Let alone if the effort was made, his brother would likely just be conflicted that he hadn't simply spoken to him about things in person instead of marking them on parchment. He almost had to roll his eyes at the mere thought. Beyond that... well, his options were... limited to put it mildly. "Certainly." He would agree in what he hoped wasn't a too hurried or eager manner.

At her instruction of where to place the box, he would nod and oblige. Rejoining her, she seemed quite excited at the prospect of the, albeit simple, culinary experience. “Well that is quite alright.” She assured, “I cannot say I am much of a culinary expert myself, but I’d like to think my pallet is rather diverse. It’s rather exciting to try new things.” Thumb and index would hold his chin in contemplation for a moment, his head tilted in vague consideration. "Perhaps we can have lunch again another time, then." He would voice, if he liked this food, he would certainly trust her judgment of other places as well. "Ah, before I forget." His eyes widened faintly as he nearly forgot the scrutiny of stares before.

It wasn't often that he wandered out of the library, but in the instances he did, he had been misinterpreted as a vampire more than once. A misconception that was not favorable in this land, it would seem. While he hadn't outright encountered one of the undead thus far, he'd learned enough of the bloody history here to know he didn't want that to occur again, let alone in the company of another. His outlandish appearance tamed somewhat. His horns melding away in favor of a more mortal disguise. There was a disconcerting tinge that wound through his skin, reminding him sharply that such magic should have been conducted before he left the presence of his bridle. Releasing a heavy breath in the form of a sigh, he would offer a faint simper. "Shall we? I am excited for sandwiches."
Jahi