Hemlock & Lace
show stopper - Printable Version

+- Hemlock & Lace (https://hemlock.rpginit.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Vufrien (https://hemlock.rpginit.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Kaisermont (https://hemlock.rpginit.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: show stopper (/showthread.php?tid=308)

show stopper - Huian - 02-21-2023

The stranger’s path had been followed from deep within the city but once they had broken from the crowds and into the woods he apparently thought to become more careful with his movements. Only the occasional shift over the earth or snapping of vegetation. Yet there were only so many places one go go from here. Either straight into the watery coasts or blend with the less savory folk known to frequent the streets of Kaisermont. A mind set upon the land hidden just behind the capital’s walls, though hardly was it blind to the law. Even he would need to be careful here.

Bright eyes flickered over each passing face, nothing more than a glance as tail swayed lazily behind him. That guy had to be around here somewhere. Maybe someone had seen him or knew more about the man. While he didn’t enjoy getting others involved in the guild’s personal affairs it was better than wandering blindly. He could play the part, he’d done it hundreds of times before and now would be no different. An undercover guard, a detective, whatever title the common folk wished to place upon him. It was all better than the truth.

A short huff fled his lungs before attentions would drift over the shop fronts, fixating upon one that the public seemed to frequent. The occasional figure passing from within or giving it a second glance even if they hadn’t stopped. Well, he supposed it ws time to put on his best smile. He was just looking for a perpetrator, a criminal that needed brought to justice. Nothing sordid over asking for appearances, if only such as he had been seen around these parts.

Jewelry clinked lightly as the feline made his way with practiced grace, a figure leaning to rest upon the counter as eyes lay glued. Lyrics rose smoothly hoping to pull her focus away from whoever else she may have thought to help before him, “Excuse me Miss, are you the owner here?” Only a tick of silence allowed to pass before he’d continue, “Mind if I ask you a few questions. Promise I won’t take up too much of your precious time.” Then she could return to all she did here which - from how the joint looked - was sell meat.

Perfumes of blood hard to ignore as it radiated from tucked away remains yet to be processed. Various creatures hung to drain or perhaps merely awaiting their fate upon the chopping block. Such an activity the cat was not unfamiliar with but he hardly hung around it, did not linger around the kitchens when assistance was not needed. After all he preferred seeing the carcass of his own manner of hunt over the butchered flesh of a beast.

RE: show stopper - Tethys - 03-06-2023

Business had been relatively steady since the draft had been posted.  Bodies coming and going with their choice of cut. It made for the slower hunting days to prove to be more taxing, especially if coming up empty-handed. Needless to say, she had no issue shooing off drunkards or ill-tongued customers. She’d argue it added a touch of entertainment for what often was a dragging day and made the jingling monotony of the bell when the door opened and closed a little more tolerant in the busier days. “Hey there, welcome in! Be with you in a moment.” Ensuring she made an effort to greet anyone that entered – it’d always been that way even before inheriting the shop.

Icy blue eyes barely took the time to look up as she measured out the slab of meat for a requested cut. With a single chop of the cleaver in hand, did the meat separate with ease.  Tethys went on without flinching proceeding to wrap the cut before continuing the purchased exchange. “One flank steak, and three filets there for y’ea.” The huntress smiled. A brief thanks was shared before the last customer took their leave. Excuse me Miss, are you the owner here? 

Tethys took a rag, wiping down her counter, though the stranger continued before she could reply. Mind if I ask you a few questions. Promise I won’t take up too much of your precious time. “Ah, I’ll be clos’n up soon.” she chuffed with a tired smile. “Ask away – though my stock is pretty low today. Had a bit of a haul.” She could only assume it could be something of that relation – or – the obvious evidence of being on auto-pilot. A good swim after the laborious day sounded like pure heaven in the given moment. “Got some hides too for the winter if y’lookin’ too.” she motioned to the dried furs hanging by the window. 

!

table by tempy

RE: show stopper - Huian - 03-07-2023

Ears swiveled to the ways she called out, a simple greeting meant to pull attention before those eyes would turn back to whoever held focus before him. The steady thunk of a cleaver reverberating though the small space as it easier severed a portion of flesh from the rest. It seemed that, much to the feline’s dismay, he would have to wait. Matters of business forced to the back burner yet a trail betrayed his impatience in the ways it lashed a bit more quickly. Temporary distraction found in allowing attentions to wander, to rove over all that hung throughout the shop once more.

Nothing he needed. Nothing he planned to buy.

It was not until the steady shuffle of feet turned to leave that he pounced. Figure leaning easily upon the front counter even as the other sought to wipe it down. The faintest touches of a rag would not shift limbs from their new perch as lyrical phrase rose so easily. All the tension of impatience melting away the moment he began to speak. Vibrant gaze never straying from her features as no a tail waves lazily behind him, “Not here for meat I’m afraid... or hides.”

While he could not deny the way winter bit as his flesh, how these lands were so different than the deserts and jungles grown used to. There was a refusal to shift from attire he found most comfortable. Flashes of exposed skin, light fabrics which layered smoothly over one another. So as tempting as the bulkiness of plush furs may sound he would not spend coin upon them. If he craved it so it could be gathered on his own or a portion of those used as bedding could be repurposed.

“Was hoping you might’ve seen a friend of mine pass through these parts,” a creature he could hardly claim to be on good terms with. Hell they weren’t even one he could say he had met yet a description had been given. Enough to go on, enough to forge the falsities he so enjoyed toying with. “He has quite the taste for flesh, so I’m hoping he stopped by here on his way through.” For all manners of it: beast, mortal, wolf, it mattered not what passed through that wolf’s tainted fangs.

“Colorful ink decorates his skin, something you can’t miss. Not much taller than you are I reckon but much more built, he doesn’t have any shame over his body and enjoys showing it off.” Forcing others to behold the way muscles rippled and all which adorned that flesh in both ink and scarring of past hunts. “Tan honey skin, short black hair that carries signs of his age. That ringing any bells?”

RE: show stopper - Tethys - 03-07-2023

Not here for meat I’m afraid… or hides. Came the strangers reply. Icy gaze blinked with a newfound blank expression forming upon her worn features. There were some social cues that managed to gloss right over Tethys’ head, so for the man to not be here to purchase goods. So, what could be another option? Was hoping you might’ve seen a friend of mine pass through these parts. He continued to give what details that could be provided and in the meantime, the shopkeeper went about cleaning where she could while assuring she was listening and remaining attentive. Colorful ink decorates his skin, something you can’t miss. Not much taller than you are, I reckon but more more built. He doesn’t have any shame over his body and enjoys showing it off.

“Sounds like quite the character.” A real charmer. There was a hint of humored sarcasm laced in her tone as she took purchase of what remained of her broom. One that should have been replaced some time ago. Tan honey skin, short black hair that carries signs of his age. That ringing any bells? Tethys paused for a moment, trying to recollect the faces that came and went throughout the day.

“Can’t say I have,” she shrugged. “People come and go without batting an eye – but you could probably try the tavern down the street?” she suggests with the motion of her broom.

!

table by tempy

RE: show stopper - Huian - 03-21-2023

Before he had even begun to describe his reasons for coming here Huian could see the disinterest upon the woman’s face. Expression that one could have already described as unfriendly drawing blanker at his refusal to buy, leaving the cat to doubt she would offer anything of use to him but still he would try. If nothing else it was easy enough to move on and continue a solo hunt. He hadn’t planned on paying for any form of assistance anyways, just a stray looking for handouts.

Here he was offered none. No sightings of the beast and no reason to stick around, there was no point without even a hint of excitement to trill against the air. Yet she offered suggestion with a gesture of a ratty broom. Check the tavern she said, a stink hole that would surely draw any manner of low life into it though it was a thought quickly discarded. Decorated crown shaking with the soft clink of jewels. From the rumors heard over one he tracked - there were places the prey needed to be. Something that could not be missed yet what a journey entailed he knew not.

“Even if he wandered that way he wouldn’t have stayed for long,” briefly hands would brace to the counter as he pushed himself off it. Tail flicking with a touch of agitation before turning to leave, a short wave offered as he head out the door. “Thanks anyways Miss,” thanks for nothing, “if you happen to see him inform the guard.” And then he would hear of it, a rat on the inside always good for business.

- Exit Hui unless stopped -

RE: show stopper - Tethys - 03-27-2023

She never took notice of the appearance of someone that came and went within her store. Even if she had just a moment to converse with them - which was rare given the busy-ness of the day. Even if he wandered that way he wouldn’t have stayed for long. Came the strangers regard. A small frown tugged at her lips feeling the sting of guilt tug at her chest that she couldn’t be of anymore aid. Not knowing the full intention of this one’s hunt – Tethys continued with another round of sweeping, trying to finagle means of repayment for his wasted efforts.

Thanks anyways Miss, He was beginning to make his exit; if you happen to see him inform the guard. “Oh, wait just a moment!” She discarded the broom in her hand as it fell to the ground in a loud clatter. Tethys moved back behind the counter, gathering any unsold cuts she could fit in her hands. “H-here, so your time isn’t too wasted here, at least you’ll have some food – it’s on the house.” It would have been a waste to have the cut meat spoil as there was only so much she could hand out later either at the orphanage or in passing on her way home.

“Apologies again,” she offered a friendly smile, “But I do hope you manage to find whatever- whoever it is you’re searching for, but on a full stomach.” she mused.

!

table by tempy