Hemlock & Lace
Lonesome walks - Printable Version

+- Hemlock & Lace (https://hemlock.rpginit.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Vufrien (https://hemlock.rpginit.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Kaisermont (https://hemlock.rpginit.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Lonesome walks (/showthread.php?tid=346)

Pages: 1 2

Lonesome walks - Avarice - 03-12-2023

A letter had come. But it did not require her leave. Instead, it asked for an abled male body within the household. She couldn’t will herself any of the active caretakers of the house to go while under the impression that Ira-Gula had since retired from the militia when appointed as her guardian.

Envy’s bridle nestled loosely in her hand, taking an evening stroll through the settling outskirts of Kaisermont, making her way back home. Events replaying in the back of her head like a broken record whilst wondering if she could have gone about things differently. Her attention elsewhere despite the usual gossip that would have usually been caught in passing despite some pitiful excuses of whispers. The raven Friesian mare accompanied her and nestled comfortably upon the saddle was the peculiar feline that had managed to find its way to her company once more. 

How long will you be away? The question echoed from the recent conversation she had with the senior. Ira-Gula’s expression softened with what looked like a hint of remorse whether or not she was able to catch on to it then.

I’ll be back before y’know it Avvie. Promise you won’t make the house maids fret?

There was a rise and fall of her shoulders. For someone who was not expressive in her emotions, Ira-Gula knew the young maiden well enough to see that she was unhappy with the draft. 

“The world is unkind far too often.” Came a soft whisper, lithe fingers gently tightening Envy’s bridle, continuing her trek, dismissing the judgmental eyes of passer-bys.
Jahi

RE: Lonesome walks - Daesn'yri - 04-07-2023

Her footfalls had been quick, her shoes left behind in her frantic chase of the little white blur that attempted to flee from her grasp. She loathed these visits to Kaiser, knowing full well that it meant another hair raising visit to the doctor. That all of her dreams would vanish and that her dreams would be dark and moonless for weeks afterward. For those were the only dreams she had. And now, despite her frustrations, she couldn't even recall them. She only waited for them with baited breath.

That was until this pup had caught her eye. Its ivory coat had stood out to her against the dark and dismal streets of the capitol's protector. The people and the buildings themselves seemed much colder than those she had grown accustomed to. Though, she supposed money was a large standing point with such a thing. Those in Odersten could afford the glistening white stone and flowers that surrounded and made their homes, while those her among Kaiser resorted to wood or roughly hewn rock. Not that she minded much - mind you. To her, this city seemed more... familiar. It seemed more like home, and yet she knew for certain it wasn't. Perhaps it was simply because (while vastly different in its own ways) it resonated with the first place she could recall after her mind awoke rightfully.

She hadn't allowed her thoughts to wonder much in pursuit of her intended prey. The alleyway ended abruptly, and the beast would turn on her, its tongue lolling as it panted, a low snarl blooming within its chest. It was wild, a trait she envied. She wished for it too. To be free. Always. She wished for no reigns, no rules and regulations she was to strictly adhere by. Perhaps it made her a hypocrite to want this animal at her side, selfish as well, but at least she would make certain it was well cared for. "Come." The word was soft as she made a motion to the stray, she lowered herself in an attempt to make her bodice look smaller, less intimidating to the whelp. "I w-will not harm you." She assured, catching the eerie white-blue of those predatory eyes. It looked as though it could understand her, and there was shock in the way that it suddenly relaxed.

It came to her, steps slow, occasionally faltering at the slight of a loud noise that echoed beyond them. She felt giddy, a warm smile blooming across her lips as it pressed the top of its head firmly against her palm. Even allowing her to pick it up. "Hm, a boy." She noted as the pup allowed her to carry him like one would a child. His feet leaving muddy prints along the otherwise unblemished threads of her ivory gown. "Wh-what to name you."

Her musing was cut short abruptly as she nearly walked into the side of the large beast of burden. Her footfalls stumbled as she barely caught herself, her cheeks flushing soft pink as she looked to the young lady within the saddle. "F-forgive me! I wasn't watching where I-I was going." She would offer in apology, bowing her head, which the pup took the opportunity to lick her face.

RE: Lonesome walks - Avarice - 04-08-2023

Avarice wondered the well-being of her mother in her absence. How much time did her mother need in her time of grieving and mourning? Was she faring well during the nights when the moon shone at its fullest? A secret the mother had wanted to keep away from her albino daughter only for the discoveries to be unfortunate enough to where her life was nearly taken in a blind, wild fury. Avarice bore the scarring in a ringlet near and around her neck with the bitter reminder. Envy’s reigns had grown slack as her thoughts wandered, never once holding resentment. The impression that such events would have inevitably played out – that it just happened to be that once upon many seasons ago.

You dessserved it, didn’t you? The whispers came in a silent, hushing hiss through her ears, falling upon no others but her own. The pale maiden simply did not react, as cherry blossom gaze quietly settled on the path ahead of her. The raven painted mare made – at best what Avarice could describe – combination between a grumble and a half-whinny with her weight shifting. The feline contently tucked upon her lap seemed otherwise unphased proving to have no intentions of moving. Such actions pulled Avarice out of her own thoughts as her grip suddenly, subconsciously, tighten her hold of the reigns. “Envy—“ she started until attention was drawn to the stumbling maiden.

Blank freckled expression remained save the slight rise of pale brows. F-forgive me! I wasn't watching where I-I was going. Avarice simply blinked, uncertain how to address the stranger maiden. “Are you injured?” Something her mother may have asked, perhaps. One hand freed, gently rested upon Osmanthus’ skull. The Friesian mare turned with intentional purpose to invade the others’ personal space and flared her nostrils. “Envy, do not be rude.” Avarice sighed, tugging the bridle – not yet taking notice to the small fluffy canine in the strangers grasps.
Jahi

RE: Lonesome walks - Daesn'yri - 04-09-2023

The horse was beautiful, it's dark mane combed and well maintained. Like dark waves rolling across an abyssal ocean. Ethereal, much and more different than the simple bays she had become accustomed to. The steed seemed almost exotic in its appearance, a thing of mystery. Was she native to Kaiser, she wondered briefly, her gaze turning upwards to the rider.

She had never seen her before, but that wasn't much of a statement. She could argue that she had never met a great deal of people, even those she told the time by watching. She knew of them, but not they of her. Because she was sheltered, wrapped in secrecy and illness. She was protected from all things, good and bad. It was these few sparse moments of freedom she looked forward to the most. Times when she was told to wait for the carriage at the doctor's door, that the driver had other errands to run while in the town and that he would return promptly. Such information would sit giddily upon her chest for the entire ride, helping to offset the dread and discomfort she knew would be coming.

However, this time she may have gotten into a bit of trouble. The maiden looked down at her, and perhaps it was because she was well accustomed to the cold distance of her mother, but the impassable expression upon her face made her warm smile turn slightly nervous. "Are you injured?” The question came and some of the tension left Ara's shoulders, ones that no longer curled in as if to protect herself. The simper regained some of its former friendliness and genuine demeanor. "Oh, no! I'm f-fine, my lady." Despite herself, she couldn't quite recall any of her etiquette lessons that covered such a scenario. The chiding voice in her head (that no doubt belonged to Miss Babington) firmly told her that was because a proper lady would not find herself in this position. Instead, she would be sitting proudly astride a pitch black horse, looking dignified in regal.

However, she simply was not crafted for such a role, or so she believed, especially as the giant head turned towards her. A giggle escaping her as the pale ma'am in the saddle scolded the beast softly, “Envy, do not be rude.” Envy, the horse or she? The small jest would go unsaid as she offered her hand to the reigned muzzle, "Beautiful," she cooed, not at all phased by the close proximity or its implications. She loved the horses at the stables when she escaped into the gardens for lessons. She held a soft spot for them and found their gentleness endearing. Tearing her eyes away, she would look to the rider once more. "May I be allowed to p-pet Envy?"

RE: Lonesome walks - Avarice - 04-09-2023

Avarice was often looked down upon with an underlying scowl by others. She did not hold much emotion in her face and often times came across off putting, while some would have gone so far enough to say she was either rude or nothing more than a walking shell. Such words never did find her ears at first. And even if they did, the young cherry blossom maiden did well to ignore them because it wasn’t the last she heard of them. Oh, no! I’m f-fine, my lady. Dusted rose gaze merely blinked, feeling her skin crawl ever so slightly. Such formalities did not seem befitting for the likes of the albino maiden – at least in her mind. “Osmanthus,” she muttered to the feline, gently nudging him from her lap then. He may have moved all of two inches, at best.

She sighed softly, making due with what she was given to dismount her equine less than gracefully so. Usually there was assistance at her side but the guardian was away on the draft. Avarice smoothed out her outfit, clearing her throat; “You needn’t be so formal with me miss.” She hummed casually. One hand kept a slack hold of Envy’s bridle who had already made her point to shove her nose into the others’ face without warning. This of course had led to the gentle scold to the pale maiden’s lips. Avarice could not help but notice the slight height difference between herself and the stranger. The way she dressed – was she a noble? A clawing uncertainty tugged at her chest, wondering if she was even worth this ones time? Her father had land, sure, but Avarice ensured she knew her place as an outcast despite her mothers wishes.

May I be allowed to p-pet Envy? The Friesian’s ears flicked as if listening to the request, dark eyes watching expectantly like an eager child for its mothers’ permission. Avarice simply nodded; “Of course.” Though the mare was already nudging at the stranger with her slender nose. Hooves clopping against the earth as she inched closer, hardly knowing a stranger. She was an odd one for as far as Avarice was aware, most mares had a rather ornery personality. Not to say Envy didn’t because she most certainly did especially out in the pastures, but she was incredibly sociable.

“She likes the attention,” Avarice hummed idly. “Sometimes a little too much, I think.”

Jahi

RE: Lonesome walks - Daesn'yri - 04-09-2023

She spoke something to the feline who rested alongside her in the saddle, and the little beast offered little in the ways of moving. It only came to her realization too late that the young woman was meaning to dismount, and before she could stutter out an objection - to tell her there was no need, it was too late. Instead, she settled on offering her both hands in support of her landing should she need them, along with a sheepish grin. There was something like jealousy in the back of her mind, perhaps not the correct term for the sensation, but its close relative. The lady was not apparently accompanied by any guard who was harsh at her back, controlling. She was even allowed to ride horses! That alone was enough to make Arabella swallow her heart slightly.

She merely dusted off her clothes, clearing her throat to speak once more. “You needn’t be so formal with me miss.” Despite herself, the warmth in her chest spread. "Oh! Arabella." She offered a bit awkwardly. Regardless of what this woman thought, she was probably the perfect imagery of what Ara's parents wished she would be. A genteel and dainty silhouette. Refined. Soft-spoken. All the things that the stammering, ungraceful mess was far from. Perhaps she could give her lessons - pointers - something that she felt was lacking from the cold industrial teachings of Miss Babington. "But very well. Th-thank you, miss." However, such thoughts were loosed as the horse's heavy head nudged her in full force, her footing temporarily lost with another wash of girlish laughter.

She tucked the rather concerned pup under her left arm, while her right rubbed the spot under the reigns , between the steed's ears. “Of course.” Came the permission, one that she had meant to wait for respectfully, but the mare had possessed other intentions of. She was just as soft as she thought she'd be, the feeling of that coarse, yet unfittingly soft short hair feeling familiar under her fingertips. Her hooves were impressive, perhaps even intimidating should the thought for rearing or kicking occurred, but the fresian seemed to be disinterested in the such a thing. Thankfully, she minded herself. “She likes the attention,” her owbn would turn back to the flower colored maiden, her simper remaining. “Sometimes a little too much, I think.”

"I'm glad she d-does." She would affectionately halt her scratching and instead rub the top of her head, just where her soft mane began, fingertips unfurling in soft strokes behind the mare's swiveling ears. "I love the horses. I d-don't get close to them very oft-ten." Regret was evident in her tone, though it did little to undermine the friendly tenor. "Are you from here?"

RE: Lonesome walks - Avarice - 04-11-2023

The maiden addressed herself as Arabella. It was a pleasant sound on the tongue, a pretty one too, Avarice thought. It was fitting for someone who dressed in such regality. The albino maiden did not feel the need to have formalities in place. It felt odd to be addressed such. She wondered if they were lost, or, perhaps there was someone rounding the corner. Avarice had taken it upon herself to escape the worrisome sights of her house maids despite Ira-Gula’s plea to refrain from causing them worry. Envy needed to stretch her legs, she considered the excuses despite the fact that the Friesian had an entire pasture with the company of a male bay to freely roam. ..Th-thank you, miss. Oh, right introductions — “Avarice.”

Her gaze shifted towards the raven painted mare and the lazy feline perched sleepily upon her saddle. A vacant seat since claimed. She wondered if Osmanthus did this to Theo too. It felt rude to disturb the feline for now. In the meantime, Envy was contently soaking in the attention by the blonde stranger. As Avarice mentioned, she oftentimes relished in it almost too greedily. I’m glad she d-does. Avarice glanced to the maiden who called herself Arabella. Curious of the stammer, but otherwise unbothered by it. I love the horses. I d-don't get close to them very oft-ten.

Pale brows knitted, uncertain how to respond to such a statement. But perhaps it was a normalcy. Maybe her schedule was a little stricter keeping her away from some leisure. Are you from here? “Ah, I was born in Dunmeath.” She answered simply, disregarding the heaviness of that statement. “But I live between here and the Wilds – enough land for Envy to roam comfortably. And you?”

Jahi

RE: Lonesome walks - Daesn'yri - 04-12-2023

"Avarice.” It was lovely to be able to put a name to face. She would allow her head to dip into a slight nod of acknowledgement. While the woman had said that she did not see the point in formality - and while Ara herself was in the same standing - it didn't stop what was becoming habit. Normally, if she did not speak and act a certain way, she'd be scolded, and it was very much becoming a simple ingrain to her memory at this point. "A pleasure to meet you, Miss Avarice."

“Ah, I was born in Dunmeath.” She inwardly flinched, her smile falling somewhat to a slight frown. The only thing she really knew about her homeland was that it had recently been lost due to the war. Those of Crue Efros were in current occupation of the territory, and Vufrein had been dealt a rather hard blow. In her lessons, she'd been taught that the lands of Dunmeath were among the most fertile in comparison to the large portion of rock and mountain that made up the rest of the continent. It meant that sooner, rather than later, those who depended on the farmland there would begin to feel the effects of the loss. Food would undoubtedly become a far more precious commodity than it currently was. Right now, her family could still sit within the vanity of their halls and hold grand dinners to entertain their guests.

They seemed to have not a worry over the inevitable, but it struck something within her. Something unfamiliar, but so terribly close. She couldn't quite place it, but it filled her with an indescribable sense of dread. “But I live between here and the Wilds – enough land for Envy to roam comfortably. And you?” "I'm sorry." She spoke after a slight pause. Her fingers wrung slightly under the heavy weight of the captured whelp. He relinquished a low and heavy sigh in turn, his head hanging decidedly limp as if death itself claimed him. "I live i-in Odersten." She adjusted her grip upon him, lifting him higher and winding her other arm around him in lieu of continuing to scratch the mare. "Is it far to your h-home? Isn't it dangerous to travel r-right now?" She would softly tilt her crown, blonde coils loose from their braids slipping over her shoulders with the motion. The young lady also seemed relatively unguarded, unless there were eyes watching from the shadows that she did not immediately see. Her smile bloomed anew. "That's very brave."

RE: Lonesome walks - Avarice - 04-13-2023

The history of Dunmeath was one she had experienced once upon a time. Forever etched in the back of her mind between the upset of her mother and the surging fires that tore through as well as those who aided in the dangers at hand. Avarice’s expression remained ever unchanged despite this notion. A pleasure to meet you, Miss Avarice. Cherry blossom pink eyes blinked as if pulled away from the trenches of her thoughts before continuing on sharing tid-bits of information. Gaze fell slightly towards the little white fluffy canine caught in Arabella’s grasp. She couldn’t help but wonder if they were companions like Osmanthus and Theodred. Behind her, she could hear the feline let out a purring yawn, simply readjusting his weight comfortably. Avarice would be lying if she said she wasn’t eager to share with Theo, of the feline’s adventures and his whimsical antics, she liked to call them.

I live i-in Odersten. Avarice simply nodded, finding it of no surprise as she only assumed most with wealth, often lived closer or within the capitol. Is it far to your h-home? Isn’t it dangerous to travel r-right now? The pale maiden hummed in idle thought considering the distance between where she stood versus the estate where she resided. That’s very brave. Was not what she was told whenever she returned to fretting house maids or an agitated Ira-Gula. Though in late it was merely just the house maids and she did loathe those worrisome hens. Though, if her mother were around she probably would be just as concerned. “It probably is, but—” Avarice simply shrugged in nonchalance. “I’ll deal with the repercussions later I suppose. But I wanted to take Envy out for a walk.”

She motioned towards the little fluffy canine. “Is this one yours?” Her head tilted slightly, allowing the pale loose curls to sweep against her freckled cheeks. “What’s their name?”
Jahi

RE: Lonesome walks - Daesn'yri - 04-17-2023

“It probably is, but—” She dismissed the comment with a shrug, and the young woman would tilt her head softly at the seeming disinterest of that peril. Perhaps she had heard it before, given her reaction, just the same as Ara had been nagged over similar things until it all became an incessant droning that rattled heedlessly within her ears. “I’ll deal with the repercussions later I suppose. But I wanted to take Envy out for a walk.”She nodded in understanding. Though she felt as though in current days the repercussions may be far more severe than simply taking a scolding, she could also see the point in which the lady made. It made her hands tighten softly within the fur of the pup, the beast wriggling lightly in response as he offered an indignant huff. She was somewhat uncertain of the ways of the world, a walking husk without the presence of past and knowledge of areas to know the significance of landmarks or even the maps of the world. She was given brief lessons on such topics, but her parents had pleaded with Babington to merely focus on making her more ladylike rather than imparting actual intelligence of any degree.

Something that made her pout slightly in current time.

She knew Dunmeath to be the main fertile lands of Vufrien, she knew that those of Crue Efros had seized it after a siege had broken the defenses. The repercussions of not taking the township back were becoming evident in missing grain and the increased price of even the most basic of commodities since they now needed to be sourced from overseas. It made something in her painfully and dully lurch with familiarity as she had often times seen those with less in their coffers eyeing the manners of those akin to her family with greed. With violence. How long could they hold onto the status of decadence before those with naught in their bellies decided to take for themselves what the rich withheld?

“Is this one yours?” The soft askance drew her from her thoughts and she would quickly lift her eyes to the dame before they slid to the small bundle within her arms that only just seemed to take an interest in the feline lingering within the saddle. His gaze focused intently upon the passenger, his tail beginning a soft, slow wag. "Why, yes. I suppose h-he's mine now." She offered him a pat on the head, a hopefully distraction that earned her palm several quick licks, but didn't halt his steady staring. “What’s their name?” She only offered a slight, sheepish smile in response. "I haven't thought of a name for him yet-t." Came the admittance, in truth, her capture of him had been very spur of the moment, but when she had spotted the lone, stranded pup, how could she simply leave him in the city to be driven out or meet an even more unkind fate. After all, he was merely hungry. Was that such a crime?