Hemlock & Lace
Hapchance Tunes - Printable Version

+- Hemlock & Lace (https://hemlock.rpginit.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Vufrien (https://hemlock.rpginit.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Kaisermont (https://hemlock.rpginit.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Hapchance Tunes (/showthread.php?tid=363)

Pages: 1 2

Hapchance Tunes - Sonata - 03-17-2023

The days where her classes were not in session left time to be trivial. Time spent alone both a blessing and a curse all the same. Mornings were spent volunteering at the orphanage, sharing song and music for the youth that were curious enough to listen. Doe-like eyes of the children grew wide with awe as they would corral around the string instrument, listening to the angelical vocals and harmonious strums played. Another! Please Miss! They would plead at the end of each song. A gentle smile of sincerity would find her lips as she continued until the afternoon bells chimed and the beckon for lunch sounded from the orphanage building. “Will you be joining us for luncheon today Miss Andante?” An older woman – dressed in her religious garb extended the invitation. 

Sonata carefully packed away the aged guitar back into its case before sliding it to her back. “Many thanks Sister, but I must decline today. I’ve lesson plans to make for the coming week.”  Sonata was careful with her words. Despite the masked kindness the nun gave, she couldn’t help but sense the sting of judgment behind the elders' words. Whether it was intentional or of some sense of pity, the maiden would do what she could to avoid any potential suffocation of religious affairs. Not to mention she knew well enough that she, like several others knew of the past events endured.  The nun merely offered an understanding smile before reuniting with another who had accompanied, delicate ears catching wind of the whispering gossip;

’Poor girl, drowning herself in work like that, she keeps herself holed up in that school of hers ever since her husband and son died. If she’s not there, then she’s here entertaining the children.’
‘Well can you blame her, Sister Sarah? Still, she could at least come to our prayer sessions. It would do her some good.’

Sonata chuffed under her breath while ensuring she had gathered all she needed, “Nothing but empty words.” She murmured quietly, listening as the door to the building in the distant opened and closed with weathered groans.
Jahi

RE: Hapchance Tunes - Aethelos - 04-01-2023

"Why Kaisermont?  Aren't there tutors that could instruct her here?"  Tawny brow furrowed in the direction of my sire.  "Doesn't she have an instructor?"  The older man shrugged before taking a long, drawn-out drag of his lit tobacco pipe.  I watched the smoke rise from the smouldering embers, from the corner of his lips where the elder Belevelron let the pipe hang loosely while he spoke.

"Miss Babington has requested time away from her duties so that she may attend her father's funeral in Dunmeath."  Whatever disdain, blistering irritation, marked the clean-shaven line of my jaw vanished at the mention of the stormed city.  

I could not stop these morose thoughts, those which mused how long it'd be before our home lay in smouldering ruin at the hand of the red queen's merciless march.  A swarm of vindictive ambition that would stop at nothing until the whole of Klewyth lay in her dominion.  Those in the noble holds of Odersten could not fathom the horrors that would ensue if they were to lose their claim on the capital city.  The king's land was already struck a dire blow by losing the farming village, trickling luxuries slipping from their hands.  It was only a matter of time before the ramifications boiled into the rest of Vufrien and our people suffered the weight of royal wars. 

Such thoughts found their quiet lull when the carriage came to a halt in front of the rather droll building.  Drab, I thought, compared to those in Odersten.  Kaisermont was unlike the capital - the people here stared with suspicious glares, their eyes roving to the curve of a pocket or satchel.  I kept mine close at hand as I broached the steps of the building before opening the single door and searching out the first person that came into view.  It was a woman with almost white hair reflecting a lilac sheen, the mess of it tossed into a braid hung delicately over the curve of her girlish shoulder.  

"Pardon, madam."  Boyish drawl reached out for her attention.  "Do you know where I may find a Mrs. Andante?"

RE: Hapchance Tunes - Sonata - 04-01-2023

Her mind let her attention absent, mentally playing out course of events for her future classes. On Monday they could continue with their lessons of writing letters and numbers, forming them into words. What letter would they be on this week then? A soft, humored chuckle escaped her lips, mentally chastising herself for misplacing her notes. They could end the day with another song, or recess. Of course, somehow she was coerced into both if there was enough time for such activities. “Hm, their shadow box projects are due this week, I think…” she murmured under her breath.

The sound of the the large gate groaned up ahead causing her gate to unconsciously slow, though it was clear her attention was not coherent while mentally planning out the week ahead. Pardon, madam. Piercing golden eyes blinked as her steps halted abruptly. Confusion marring her soft features as if in some sort of daze that she’d been ripped away from. Her sights settled on the outline of the man, well-dressed. He looked rather misplaced: as if he belonged within the castles of Vufrien and certainly not within the trenches of Kaisermont. If it were not for the absence of a five o’clock shadow and the prestigious attire, she could have been staring at the ghost of her late husband. How cruel.

Do you know where I may find a Mrs. Andante? It was not every day someone – let alone of status would seek her out. He did not look like the parent of any of the children that attending her school. Even so, parent-teacher conferences were held after school hours during her work week. “You’ve found her, sir.” She answered simply with an amicable smile, turning to face him wholly. Shoulders rose slightly while tilting her head. “I don’t think I recognize you though, what is your child’s name? I typically hold meetings with parents at the end of the school week.”

Jahi

RE: Hapchance Tunes - Aethelos - 04-13-2023

Andante.  This a name belonging to the fallen soldier's silver tag, a long-ago companion, a fair man who belonged far from the smouldering flames of political contention - a man who appended at the hearth of his home.  Such gentle hearts were not forged out of the same mettle as those who could thrive in the environment of merciless savagery.  Those hearts like mine withstanding the barbaric wails of steel clashing against refined steel, of gunfire deafening the fields and arrows piercing the frayed ground at my feet.  Were it that I could, I'd have sent Christoph back to the family that needed him more direly than any lord or king - if I could have spared her that misery, I'd have done so without a second thought.

Unfortunately, I could only look at her now with the studious sweep of my heterochromatic gaze behind which lurked a quiet knowing, a hushed sympathy for the loss she'd endured.  I'd realized only after thoroughly observing that genteel face and the soft waves of her ashen hair that lead into binding braids that she was none other than the wife of the late Christoph.

While she spoke I drew down the navy blue cap from the crest of my crown and let it rest against the thrum of my breast, covering the family broach that was pinned to my coat.  Her smile illuminated the charming line of her mouth and the round curve of those girlish cheeks pushed upwards by the sentiment.  She looked no older than me - a man well into his twenty-fourth year.  If we were truly strangers, I may have considered her quite comely, lovely even and I found it no wonder that Christoph was so fond of showing her portrait to any and all eyes that would observe it.  I nearly chuckled at the memory but refrained.

Instead, I listened to her with a near-dumbfounded expression.  "I have no children, Mrs. Andante."  And I had no intention of having any. 

"My business here is more professional if you have the time to discuss it."  My gaze drifted to the clock that ticked along the wall.  "But if you'd prefer that I return at another time, by all means.  I've got an hour or two to spare."  I certainly was in no rush to go back to the estate to play babysitter for a grown woman.

RE: Hapchance Tunes - Sonata - 04-13-2023

Unaware of the potential connections, Sonata was not all aware of who her husband may have known once upon a time – his comrades, and fellow marksmen or soldiers.

She held what could be best described as parent-teacher conferences during the early morning weekend hours, sometimes the days before hand after the school days came to an end depending on the circumstances. Golden sunrise gaze blinked as she quietly studied the man, trying to depict if she had forgotten a meeting? None of her students had caused any rise of concern or quarrel to her knowledge and no one missed yesterday or the day before to her best recollection. I have no children, Mrs. Andante. Her brows shifted slightly, confusion quickly sweeping over her soft features. Sonata studied the man then a little longer, what would bring him here – someone dressed so… refined, in a place such as this?

My business here is more professional if you have the time to discuss it. Sonata, for the life of her, couldn’t grasp any sort of possibility that could be awaiting to spill from the strangers lips. But if you’d prefer that I return at another time, by all means. I've got an hour or two to spare. She glanced at her papers resting in her arm and adjusted the weight of her instrument slung over her shoulders. “Oh,” she mused in a warm hum. “I can spare a moment, I suppose.” Came a rolling shrug and mirthful smile. “There is some seating in the gardens,” came the suggestion all before leading ahead and making her way to the designated destination.

The gardens were recently tended to with the earthy scent of tended grass and trimmed hedges. Sonata relieved herself of her belongings by placing the weighted papers and books upon the garden table, guitar resting against one of the chairs. “I never did catch your name, sir?”

Jahi

RE: Hapchance Tunes - Aethelos - 04-26-2023

"Aethelos."  I'd tell her when she asked.  "Aethelos Beleveron."

My gaze, which had been formerly focused on her more dainty silhouette, looked to the garden around us.  Stones were carefully cut and placed with meticulous care as if lain by the gods themselves.  An immaculate image of perfection, even when brushed with the lethality of winter's frost-laden kiss.  Were it past the renewing spring solstice, the vibrant plumage of local flowers and - perhaps - more exotic species would line this path.  When it came to plants and their genus, locations, and even their more common names, that is where my expertise fell inadequately short.  Mine was a knowledge finding fondness with history, mathematics and the more physical art of fencing.  Tutors aplenty praised my sharp wit - quick as a whip, they'd claim.  Little did they know that most of it was nonsense.

As the teacher settled her things on the table, books and instrument abandoned, I watched her with a quiet wonder towards which subjects she taught in this institute.  While many of the universities in Odersten boasted grand halls and intimidating structures, this facility had been quaint, if not simple by the capitols standards. 

With a sweep of my hand, I'd motion towards one of the chairs to draw it forward, settling myself upon its seat where I watched a passing child in hand with its mother from one of the garden windows.  I wondered quietly if perhaps my father was mistaken in the capability of the instructors here for many of the students seemed to be children of varying ages.  My tawny brows furrowed at the possibility that this may have been a wasted venture - a waste of time spent on better things.  Time to find answers.

"I do apologize, madam, for my abrupt visit but assure you that it's a worthwhile proposal."  I'd lean my elbows onto the table and then place my chin in the cup of my palm.  "You see, I've been sent to find a tutor for my twin sister."  It took everything not to let the word become venom in my mouth.  "Our father will pay handsomely for the lessons and offers housing, should it be necessary."

RE: Hapchance Tunes - Sonata - 04-26-2023

He introduced himself as Aethelos Beleveron. The name itself sounded rather strong and just as noble as the well-dressed man who called himself such. “It is a pleasure to meet your acquaintance Mister Beleveron.” Sonata further extended her greeting as she took a seat, idly tidying the papers that would later need sifting through. Golden gaze settled quietly on the gentleman with mirthful curiosity.

I do apologize, madam, for my abrupt visit but assure you that it’s a worthwhile proposal.  A silvery brow simply arched upon her temple as legs crossed over one another to sit a little more comfortably. Sonata was not bothered by any means by the forwardness of the stranger who called himself Aethelos. “It is no burden to me, sir. I merely volunteer at the orphanage on weekends.” she assured with a kind heartened simper. Her hands nested together upon her lap, listening to this potential proposal. You see, I’ve been sent to find a tutor for my twin sister. It was here her face shifted to slight confusion, perplexed. She was not one to judge by appearance or of age but she couldn’t help but question the offer. He did not seem neither older nor much younger than she did – so she could only fathom that his sister was the same. Our father will pay handsomely for the lessons and offers housing, should it be necessary.

Such a simple offer suddenly felt like an overwhelming weight on the maidens chest, remaining quiet a moment after. It was not her place to pry into a family matter that was not her own – especially with a complete and total stranger whom she only met all of five minutes ago by accident. “Forgive me, sir, but I cannot help but be puzzled by your offer.” Perhaps it could be because she was not raised under the influence of wealth and potential power. “You do not seem that much older, or younger, perhaps than myself. Did your sister not receive the same education as you?” She brought her hands together, fingers interlacing one another, settling her sunlit golden gaze upon Aethelos. 

“More importantly, I provide education for families of the working and lower class openly as well as anyone else who seeks it.” She motioned towards the orphanage building that she had just recently departed from after spending her morning. “I do not teach for the sake of profit. I teach because it is something I enjoy and I enjoy watching curious minds learn and grow. So… why is it you seek the likes of me?” Also one of the promises she’d made was to continue her path to teach and share her music too. Her lower lip curled inward, as she could just hear her husband in the back of her head scoffing at her words then. It was then she wished for him at her side for his input – his opinion despite the fact that she would have easily been told it was ultimately her decision. 

Sonata lifted her gaze again, to ensure eye contact remained in the midst of the conversation. “I do not mean to prattle, I was simply taken aback by the proposal is all.” One of which she would not willingly jump on board until she had further information, what sacrifices would there be and so on. 

Jahi

RE: Hapchance Tunes - Aethelos - 05-10-2023

"I do insist, Mrs Andante,"  I started.  My mouth coiled into a genuine smile as I added, "That you call me Aeth."  All the while my mismatched eyes couldn't pry from her or the busy way her delicate hands tidied through the stack of papers.  Assignments from her students, I surmised.  I watched each move like a calculated predator, a patient hawk ready to swoop upon the unsuspecting field mouse.  A terrible habit inherited from years of serving his majesty's army.  Even when her gilded eyes were upon me, mine did not stray to else but the contours of her face even as she shifted in the garden chair.  I couldn't help but wonder what kind of woman lies behind that mirthful exterior.

Kindness.  That is what radiated from her.  An almost golden aura that was near blinding, surely, to those sensitive to such things.  I knew that soft voices and demure glances could easily be forged by a greedy smith.  I'd seen it repeatedly spread across the vile lips of my mother or my avaricious father if it meant he could secure a deal.  Before sending this woman to the estate, I needed to make sure she wasn't like them.

When she spoke I leaned back fully against the chair and crossed both arms over my chest, indicating that her every word was soaked in, thoroughly mused, and contemplated.  Navy sleeves crumpled at the crook of my elbows, and the coat at my side lay open against my ribs. 

"Of course,"  My voice was stalwart and unwavering as I maintained the bond between our eyes.  "I would expect speculations given these circumstances.  You see, my... sister and I were given the same education but I'm afraid she's suffering from amnesia."  I spoke candidly.  "And between us, I am not much of a musician myself despite my age.  For example, if I wished to play the piano, I would surely need a tutor for it." 

My hand twirled, wrist flexing as I elaborated on the purpose of my visit.  "There are subjects to which all of us could use some guidance, don't you agree, Mrs Andante?"  The corner of my mouth lifted into a grin.  "As for seeking you specifically, well.  Among the branch of possible instructors, your name was quite popular I hear."

RE: Hapchance Tunes - Sonata - 05-11-2023

His insistence was nothing she expected. To regard him so casually made her question if he was truly testing her on the spot or was that she insulted him without knowing? Sonata was not one to pass judgement based on one’s title or position in hierarchal class: it was better to just be courteous – to keep the peace, more or less and to stray away from conflict as much as possible. In the meantime, her concerns escaped her lips with her usual sense of professionalism as she quietly neatened the stack of papers until they straightened evenly upon one another.

I would expect speculations given these circumstances. Sonata tilted her head slightly while golden gaze settled curiously upon the noble. She was as attentive as she was if she were listening to a concerned pupil or worrisome mother over the wellbeing of their child and how they fared in group settings. You see, my… sister and I were given the same education but I’m afraid she’s suffering from amnesia. Her silver brows would knit despite his forthright tone. And between us, I am not much of a musician myself despite my age. For example, if I wished to play the piano, I would surely need a tutor for it. She would agree, though words did not fall from her lips as she clasped her hands together whilst they rested contently upon her lap.

There are subjects to which all of us could use some guidance, don’t you agree, Mrs. Andante? She offered a bashful smile in compliance. There was always something new to learn, regardless how old or young any one individual would be. There was a warmth that would swell within her core when she could see the awe and wonder in the eyes of her students too whilst they learned what colors made what – or a piece of new history in the making of a discovery. When a new song was learned, or the beautiful strum of an instrument ringing upon potential growing musicians. As for seeking you specifically, well. Among the branch of possibly instructors, your name was quite popular I hear.

Sonata could not help the surprise that painted her soft features. “Pardon?” as if to have misheard his comment upon his findings. Or perhaps it was disbelief. She never had a set goal to make save for ensuring that she made education entertaining and worthwhile or to share her music and knowledge of music as everyone should be given the opportunity to find their niche. “My apologies sir.” not only did her cheeks flush a pinkish hue. The pigment spread to the tips of her ears. “This is news to me.” She cleared her throat, as she shook her head to redirect back to the task at hand.

“But going back to the proposition, is it private lessons to be sought or will Miss Beleveron be attending the school as well?” She shifted her weight a little more comfortably in the garden chair before placing on hand on the student work so that the wind would not steal it. “I do not mind providing private lessons but I cannot abandon the school nor my other students.”

Jahi

RE: Hapchance Tunes - Aethelos - 06-12-2023

In the hull of my cerebral whispers there lingered an understanding towards loss.  Grief weighed upon the soul.  I understood what emotions followed be it guilt or shame or nameless feelings incomprehensible in that moment of our mourning.  There was almost an intimate understanding of how it pulled one's heart from their chest and submerged it in ice water.  I knew how our stomachs were suddenly numb to the cue of hunger; our minds were equally as paralyzed.  Still, I spoke in a way that I knew would maim.  I knew that bringing up his name would wipe the smile from her pretty face and erase the scorching pink from the arch of her cheeks and the tips of her ears.

"Do pardon my overstepping, madam."  I began while relaxing my hands on my lap while a look akin to sympathy marked my face.  "But we couldn't go a day in camp without Christoph proudly boasting his wife's intellect.  I mentioned your name to my father and now, here we are.  He only wants the best for his daughter, naturally." 

But even I couldn't believe that.  Not anymore.  Not after watching Arabella slowly decay in the husk that was her failing body. 

When my company cleared her throat, my eyes returned from the crook of my knee to the glimmering iris of her gaze.  "The ride from Odersten may be difficult for her, I'm afraid.  She is rather sickly and quite... witless, so home lessons would be ideal."  There was a slight furrow in my brow, one that dimmed in the light of her continuance.  "Of course, we understand that you have prior obligations."  I smiled.  "So perhaps we can arrange a weekly visit if it is not too burdensome.  All travel expenses on your part will be paid in full.  Money is no issue, madam."