Hemlock & Lace
[Merchant] bits & baubles - Printable Version

+- Hemlock & Lace (https://hemlock.rpginit.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Vufrien (https://hemlock.rpginit.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Dunmeath (https://hemlock.rpginit.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: [Merchant] bits & baubles (/showthread.php?tid=390)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: [Merchant] bits & baubles - Daesn'yri - 05-04-2023

"Cin did ú- stutter." It was there, albeit slightly broken and much more slowly forthcoming than his prior snide remarks and sharply cut whit. It was enough proof for her, and one that made her relax slightly, a lilting beam settling across her expression as she laughed slightly. "Hi na- easui  na nin." Indeed, the accent did not interfere with the speech and the words felt fluent and as if her tongue had been crafted to them. Confidence wielded for one of the first times while speaking. "I vess osvoi'r rnioq seqi duer mav." She would return his tease, eyes closing as her expression only flourished in unfettered mirth.

However, it was short lived as he also turned more serious and his admittance came. Her brow furrowed, and one hand unwound from where it cradled her own arm to perch under her chin to regard him.

He, however, did not elaborate.

She felt.... let down. The scrutiny of her gaze would dwindle from him as he made it apparent he would offer her nothing else on the matter. Perhaps it was simply because he didn't particularly find it important. After all, it wasn't his memories that were left drifting upon the tides of what felt to be an impossibly large sea. She merely walked the sands of the beach, collecting what fragments she could, and if she spoke of them, she was sent to have them taken. Maybe he would alert their mother, and she was beginning to wonder if it was even worth resisting with the brittle insistence she had to cling to them. Already they had been stripped away from her so many times that she felt they no longer truly belonged to her any ways. What did it matter?

In spite of her crestfallen heart ache, she would turn her attention away from the parasitic feeling eating her alive. If she focused on it for any elongated period of time, she would certainly spiral, withdraw. It would do little to appease the new vow she had made. "Do you intend to wear it for him?" She would give him a droll, albeit slightly flushed stare. If he knew anything of the interactions she had with the family, he would know that she went to great lengths to avoid the man - even more so in recent days since her return had been met with such severe animosity. Likewise, she wanted to do nothing to draw the brute's attention either.

"Oh, I see.  You want to wear it for me then?" Exasperated gaze was given to him as her cheeks flushed further. She put the garment back into its resting place upon the rack before turning her back to him. "I suppose but it looked a little... big for you." He added, but she had put the entirety of her attention strictly on riffling through the fabrics presented. Until her focus would hinge upon a plum and gold garment. The sleeves hung suspended from encrusted lines of gilded straps - light and airy, rather sheer in comparison. The bottom piece matched its design, a silken material that split freely along the legs, a far cry from the suffocating and caging gowns she had been forced into in recent days. "I like th-this one." She offered, lifting it from the display. The corners of her lips would lift as her sights settled upon the shop keep. The woman, however, beheld her with something deeper than the previous suspicion. Something that had a slight nervous grin spreading across her lips. "I-I will buy this."

table by tempy

what she settled on

RE: [Merchant] bits & baubles - Aethelos - 05-06-2023

In me brewed a partiality towards relief, a minor alleviation that she'd busied herself with something other than recalling those lost stars just beyond her reach.  Those memories now blocked behind a cerebral wall whose castle she could not siege lest they claim her a raving lunatic and cast her away to the clutches of the doctor.  Then the child reared his head, eager to reunite with this fated encounter, to learn the story of our long-lost friend who had been presumed dead when word of her village's demise reached our courier.  If only she could have seen how Arabella sobbed and wailed at the news.  Often I wonder if that heartache didn't speed up my sister's inevitable decline. 

As I watched the feral princess skim through the outlandish outfits, arms crossed tightly across my chest, I couldn't help but be reminded of the countless times I'd wanted to do something like this for her.  To go to the market's on the dock, to watch her eyes glisten with joy at all the wares.  It was silly of me, but I even wanted to share something as simple as a croissant with her because I knew that - if nothing else - it would make her... happy.

That was before things changed.  Before Arabella got sicker.  Before I was shipped away lest I ruin our family's plans to wed her off like some form of unruly livestock.  We... I was different now and couldn't afford to let prior feelings interfere with my sister's safety.

When the feral princess made her choice of an elaborate plum gown, I reached down towards my pocket to withdraw from it the soft leather of my wallet while taking a step towards her side.  Gloved fingers twisted open the clasp before heterochromatic gaze drifted towards the merchant's visage that seemed... guarded, albeit perplexed.  "How much for the dress and the golden anklet there?" 

RE: [Merchant] bits & baubles - Daesn'yri - 05-06-2023

Among the desert, there was a lush and fertile land. Grass embraced the perception of the oasis waters, and it was always so miraculous to behold the richness of emerald. Normally, the only time the color was gleaned was from dyed fabrics or perhaps the very rare splendor of precious gems - far less common than the little blades of vegetation. The feeling of soil, of being in a permanent area for more than a few days. The thick canopies of trees to loom together and offer the reprieve of shade from the searing sun, unlike the open aegis of the dunes. 'Why can we not stay here all the time?' It was her own voice that posed the question - simply younger. It didn't tremble within her throat as it did now, the simper that lined her lips was far easier coming. She also wasn't alone. The big man was there - the one she addressed her inquiry to. Aethelos, the princess he mentioned close by, and a few other girls. One with strikingly dark hair in comparison to the others. However, one of the elder ones is the one who proclaimed answer. 'Because, if we lived here all the time, the waters would dry up. The trees would disappear. The grass would go away. Because we are too much to stay here all the time.' Arabella knew this to be true, now, perhaps just because of the explanation she had been given at that time. She knew what the candies from the pier tasted like - sweet, but with saltiness holding together their soft albeit chewy consistency. 'Maduil Tlii needs time to recover between our visits. We make her weary, rerdil.'

Rerdil.
Sister.
But she didn't have a sister.
She only had a brother.

Her eyes fell, only drawing up in her distraction as he stepped up beside her. "How much for the dress and the golden anklet there?" At his askance, she also noted his readied wallet and she would shake her head slightly. "No, it's okay. I can p-pay for it." She insisted, glancing towards the other thing he inquired over, before turning her gaze back to him with a slight quizzical glance. It wasn't anything she needed, though neither was the gown, especially not in this cold climate. However, to say she didn't find a fondness towards the article would be a lie. "Why are you doing this?" Came the quiet askance instead, one just barely voiced as the shop keep busied herself placing the fabric in a wrapped parcel for them.

table by tempy

RE: [Merchant] bits & baubles - Aethelos - 05-07-2023

"No, it's okay.  I can p-pay for it." 

I couldn't help the scoff that followed her innocent contention, the irritable huff of disdain, the rebuttal that slipped from me as a knife pulled away from its weathered block.  That she would offer to use his corrupted success in exchange for a brief moment of happiness.  "With fathers money?"  And I regarded her from beneath a piqued brow and hard eyes.

She had no means to sustain herself, to grab hold of cherished independence and be free of the Belevelron's shackles.  I knew that whatever money she hid on her person was given as allowance by my sire - or was stolen.  Thievery seemed... beneath her, somehow.  Even if I had hoped the ring was snatched from the feral princess's corpse, the lies I'd been fed mentioned nothing of a burglar.  They painted her as a glutton for schemes, nothing more. 

"Why are you doing this?"

I shrugged after a time, a subtle motion easily missed.  How could I tell her it was for a selfish wish?  How could I say that this is what Arabella would want from me when she was masquerading as the sickly girl?  The tips of my fingers dug through the wallet, shifting the bills to and fro until I'd gathered the merchant's price and set it in the older woman's palm.  I watched her begin wrapping the articles, the golden chain, I listened to the clamour of the shoppers behind us eager to return to their homes with their newly acquired treasures.

A brooding look took hold of me, my voice, as I finally gave her my reason.  "I made a promise a long time ago.  That's why."

When the woman offered the feral princess the parcel, I turned to face her in all of her demurity, the soft flush of her cheeks, the bewilderment that seemed to be forever painted in her eyes.  With a sigh, I'd tuck the wallet back into the safety of my pocket.

"It's a long ride back and it'll be dark soon."  The thought of lingering here any longer made my skin crawl.  I'd caught glimpses of them, the Crue Efros badges, the soldiers and their rifles, the militia armed.  "So if there's anything else you need, make it quick otherwise let's head for the carriage." 

RE: [Merchant] bits & baubles - Daesn'yri - 05-07-2023

"With fathers money?" She would nearly flinch at his sharp tone, like a razor's edge. Her fingers curled slightly into her palms. Why did it matter? What difference did it make if it was his or their father's money that dressed her? That dressed her. Her gaze would slip away as her features reddened with the thought. One that she truly shouldn't have, though not as notorious as the burn would have one believe as it seared across her cheeks and spread to the very tips of her ears. Even more so as she recalled his teasing accusation from prior. Was she dressing for him? No. No, she certainly wasn't! However, he had also pointed a finger at her for wearing things for their father as well, which also was far from the truth. Perhaps she was taking things far too.... literal.

He seemed to have been fond of the desert, at least from the brief shadow of warmth that had touched his face, the brief flash of softness to his otherwise hard stare. It had somewhat made her chest ache, both for his memoirs of the place and her distinct lack of them. It was no different than the rest of her life, and yet she wished she could recall more, just so she had something warming to speak with him over. Something worth talking about. Nonetheless, she enjoyed just as much hearing his telling of the events. It had also brought her other musings back to the surface however, as well. Why had he said they lied to both of them? While it did not come as a surprise to her, it hadn't provided any answer to her inquiry either. Merely more questions for her to chase without ending. Tuili oli mad pomi' vua rnioq duer sombyobi omi'pali." It was the shop keep who broke her cerebral musings as she handed her the paper wrapped goods, her expression suspicious, serious all in one fell instance. Her eyes were dark, clouded with something.... not understood. It almost looked like the very same that Arabella had imagined she had appeared when she had demanded to know what it was that her brother was getting from her marriage. "Thank you. Take care."

She bowed her head in thanks to the woman, her fingertips digging tightly into the giving material she held. "I made a promise a long time ago.  That's why." She would tilt her head, trying to  better discern what it was he hinted at. Was it a promise he'd made to her? Someone else? It was unfair to claim such a thing when she had no recollection of anything. Her lips pursed in a slight pout as he turned in full towards her, her gaze averting at his reminder, unconsciously searching out the crowd to discern the cold sentinels who appeared to be at unease among the crowds. Reality coming back in a cold rush of wind with his next words. "It's a long ride back and it'll be dark soon."

She nodded, understanding full well his implications. The beasts of Crue Efros. The promise of Sanctuary. Her features plummeted once again as her heart pounded forcefully against her ribs at those recollections. "So if there's anything else you need, make it quick otherwise let's head for the carriage." She would shake her head, gathering the long skirts within her hand as she turned to face back the way they had come. "Yes, of course." Alas, her sight would rise to his face once more, a warm smile unfurling as she struck out her hand in unspoken demand for his once more. "I-I'm ready to go."

table by tempy

RE: [Merchant] bits & baubles - Aethelos - 05-08-2023

Discretion.  I could hear it slipping away from the murmur of their voices, whispers, their lulling sounds that made my judgement skewed.  Behind us along the gravel path leading towards the red queen's lair, their eyes were like saucers of opportunity - harbingers wed to the hell-skinned devils of greed.  Eyes that I'd missed laid upon us and the carriage we'd arrived in scored our faces to memory.  In the warmth of her company and the woes of my grief, I found it easy to forget what ground we stood upon.  Earth that had - a year ago - drank readily the blood of its residents and militia bearing the vile queen's emblem once bore that of Vufrien's king. 

Having known the troubles of a noble son, I thanked the gods I'd not been born a prince.  Politics and all it entailed, schemes and deceptions... it was all distasteful.

"Yes, of course."  I watched the quiet askance of her hand outstretched for mine.  There was a brief line of quiet questions marring the edge of my brow.  I contemplated taking it, holding it in the breadth of my gloved digits, feeling again the warmth of her seeping through the thin fabric.  Fabric that would be tucked into the same pocket as my wallet before I'd grasp her hand in mine.

The young boy would have smiled at this opportunity.  He would have blushed so violently that many would have thought him burnt from it.  But I kept my composure as we walked towards the carriage whose door was opened by our hackman who had lowered the steps for our arrival.  Standing at the side of them, I'd assist her into the navy and golden embroidered, pillowed sanctuary of the carriage before following her inside.  Normally I would have sat across from her, keeping our distance, keeping quiet until we'd parked at our destination.

This time, I sat beside her as we began the long journey of returning home. 

"Do you want to hear more stories?"  I'd ask with my eyes upon her.  "About the desert." 

RE: [Merchant] bits & baubles - Daesn'yri - 05-08-2023

There was something familiar about this situation. As if she had somewhat stood in this same circumstance before. Albeit this time and place had changed drastically from the shattered sense of deja vu. Predators were more oft times than not likely to chase after what they viewed as prey should the delicate little animal flee with haste. With the settling of the sun upon the cusp of the vermillion horizon, those many would deem as beasts had come skulking while those like Aethelos and herself had scattered peaceably into the quiet shelter of whatever may hold them.

So it was that her smile broadened as she locked his fingers around his own. It was skin now, rather than the soft fabric of his tender leather gloves. The self same arm swung gently with amicable ease as she hummed softly. Calm and steady. Even as she felt the cold scrape of their eyes against her back as if they were raking digits, cruel skeletal talons daring to glimpse for weakness. Under her arm was tucked the parcel, while that hand gripped her skirts to keep the small train of fabric to stay at least a little cleaner. The remnants of frost making the areas near the carriages mud slick. Winter was finally dying. While the chilling climate remained longer than she'd have liked, the slow recession of it was something of a blessing all its own.

She bowed her head and offered thanks to the man who drove for them, a soft apology for their delay as she cleared the stairs into the plush interior. She would lean forward slightly as she settled into her seat, peeking around the edge of the window before drawing the curtain closed, finding those ravenous eyes far more unnerving than a pack of wolves in the wilds.

Surprise was evident upon her features as - instead of across from her - her guard would claim a seat at her side instead. Brows rose, but she easily shifted in effort to give him plenty of room. "Do you want to hear more stories?" Came his inquiry, and she would once again offer him a simper, one that was born with excitement. "About the desert." She would give a hasty nod. "Yes, I would love that."

table by tempy

RE: [Merchant] bits & baubles - Aethelos - 05-10-2023

This felt strange to me.  I didn't belong here in the carriage sitting at her side wondering when she'd finally reach those lost stars and recall everything that had been tucked away.  I had no right to her smile.  No claim to that eager voice.  I didn't deserve the floral perfume that filled my senses and served as a violent reminder that this was not her home.  All along, though, it wasn't I who didn't belong here - it was her.  She was like a jackal pup lost within the city.  Far from its home, the sanctity of its desert, away from those it could call family where it could be surrounded by familiar smiles and warm laughs.  She didn't belong here, in the cold.

For a moment I couldn't help but stare at the curtain drawn over the window.  I couldn't bring myself to look at her, to deceive her.  Ivory teeth subtly nipped at the corner of my lip as I thought of what to say, how to tell her that she was the lost princess of a tribe across the sea.

Instead, I heaved a breath as I languidly turned to face her.  It wasn't the truth I told her, not wholly.  "Princess Daesn'yri and I were... very close."  I looked into her eyes, holding them as I had her soft hand just moments before we boarded the now-careening carriage.  The way it bounced beneath us, swaying with the turns in the road brought some manner of ease to my battle-worn heart.  We'd be home soon and I could slip away into the secrecy of my room to stew on these revelations.  "She was very precious to me back then."

My body seemingly melded into the plush seat as I began recanting the tale with guarded caution lest I call her the wrong name.  "Her sister, Khalila, held an affectionate fondness for you.  She liked taking care of you as if you were her sister."  The curve of my mouth lofted into a broad, sly grin as I leaned over to gingerly plant a kiss on the curve of her cheek and murmur softly against the flushed skin.  "Seksar.  Yui ora baoisekir."  My bare hand went to tuck a strand of loose hair behind her ear while pushing her jaw enough to force her to look at me.  "She did that every morning before the four of us went off hunting."

A heterochromatic gaze searched her for any flicker of recollection to mark that seraphic face.  I wanted so badly for her to remember... to know that she wasn't Arabella.  She was the proud, mighty princess of a tribe now forgotten.  She was the proud princess Daesn'yri.

RE: [Merchant] bits & baubles - Daesn'yri - 05-10-2023

He didn't look at her for a long moment, but it wasn't the same sensation of malcontent that had lingered upon the air the first time they had met. It was almost.... easy to rest in his company this time, a relaxed feeling she hadn't enjoyed in quite some time. Her stare went, out of habit, to the now closed window. It was the reminder of what lay just outside awaiting them. However, he would begin to weave his tale and she would turn her attention back to him.

"Princess Daesn'yri and I were... very close." The beginning was something she felt.... odd to hear. Like something of a secret she wasnt meant to be privy to. A slight sensation of discomfort that flourished in the blush of her porcelain cheeks as her eyes averted, only for him to catch them and hold them. Perhaps in the past they had shared a closeness of confidante, however, it felt unfair that she could not recall any secrets she had whispered to him. "She was very precious to me back then." She would tilt her head slightly, curiosity blooming despite the flush of her features. "She w-was," she would repeat the words, "but not any longer?"

Perhaps a silly askance, considering it seemed like a distant gap between their last visit to the land. Her thoughts were cast askew as continued, "Her sister, Khalila, held an affectionate fondness for you.  She liked taking care of you as if you were her sister." Her eyes widened, a sickening sensation of shock rolling across her skin. Khalila. The edges of her gaze tightened, an anguish she didn't understand polluting her heart. The sound was synonymous with the feeling. With betrayal. Despite the way her mind rebuked the name, one could not deny the muscle memory. Her vision grew foggy, distorted by the threat of tears. Her lips trembled as she spoke. "Don't say her name." It was slow, the way that breath left her, but one born of obvious distress and desperation.

It was overshadowed, if but just slightly, to the warmth of the light press of her lips against her cheek. Skin that could have seared them from his face had they dared linger overlong. "Seksar.  Yui ora baoisekir." Her heart felt as if it would drum its way out of her chest, a harsh staccato against her ribs as her crowned lowered, only to be caught and his hand forced her sights back upon him again to behold the wicked sly of his grin which only served to fluster her further. Though his touch was gentle as it pressed the stray tress behind her ear. Dejan vu. Recollection. A dangerous sensation of something more that threatened the vignette of her memories. "She did that every morning before the four of us went off hunting." The more he searched her features, the redder they became, the more she wished to escape his piercing attention. There was perhaps a part of her that remembered such a thing, because not a single ounce of doubt crept within her mind - not until she remembered that she had been ill. That she had been frail. 'They lie to us both.'

"I...... I was n-never sick. Was I?"
The question was posed softly, like its mere existence was a sin.

table by tempy

RE: [Merchant] bits & baubles - Aethelos - 05-11-2023

Her question was meant to be an innocent inquiry but those words were like an arrow, its serrated tip aimed straight and true towards the centre of my heart.  I felt it lurch in my chest.  I felt it fall into the pit of my stomach and seep into the marrow of my bones.  But not any longer?  There was an urge to smile and to it, I complied, with a spiritless attempt stretching across my boyish face. 

How could one explain the emotions felt by children?  Those still tied to their youth, their innocence, making promises that were frivolous in the eyes of maturity.  I couldn't help the way my face fell or how it shadowed over with solemn frailty. 

"She always will be, but..."  It felt as if my throat was filled with sand when I spoke.  Hesitantly, softly, I added.  "She's forgotten about me by now."

You've forgotten me.  I wanted to say, to yell at her, to shake her until those treasured moments came back.  Why couldn't she remember the way we held hands while leading each other so we didn't get lost in the thicket?  Why couldn't she remember when we went swimming and laughed the day away as if we were the only two in that oasis?  Why was I the only one who was tormented by the memories of what used to be?  She remembered huts.  Tents.  Smoke.  She remembered the sky and her father.  Why can't you remember me, too? 

There was another name that struck a cord and through her trembling lips, I heard the slow command breathed.  I couldn't help staring at her.  What exactly happened when we left all those years ago?  Were it not for the blatant display of distress marring her features, I might have pressed it.  This time, I let it go.

As I held her face and watched the blush creep along those dulcet cheeks, my wry grin returned in full.  The soft pad of my thumb was like gossamer silk in the way it traced her jawline, the soft lobe of her ear, and the pert tip of that chin she liked to keep held high.  I leaned in close - dangerously close - enough to where the warmth of her mouth tempted me to claim it.  Could she feel how badly I wanted to feel the slick trance of her kiss, to know again what she felt like beneath my lips?  In my hesitance came another of her questions that made my veins run cold.

I pulled away and released the hold on her face.  "No."  My voice was sharp while leaning back into the seat, elbow propped against the side of the carriage and head tucked into my palm.  "You were never sick."