Hemlock & Lace
Not so frivolous taste - Printable Version

+- Hemlock & Lace (https://hemlock.rpginit.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Vufrien (https://hemlock.rpginit.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Odersten (https://hemlock.rpginit.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+---- Forum: Wild Willow (https://hemlock.rpginit.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+---- Thread: Not so frivolous taste (/showthread.php?tid=429)

Pages: 1 2

Not so frivolous taste - Ekosha - 05-18-2023

There was a look of disapproval written across the freckled features of the young physician-historian. Snow laden colored curled hair with hints of pastel cerulean were tucked into a tight bun with a few strays decorated into corkscrew curls. “Is this truly necessary? I can hardly walk in these shoes.” Came an agitated chuff while thin heeled shoes were dressed to her delicate little feet. “Miss Frost, with all due respect, this is a wedding you’re attending – one for nobles no less, you must dress for the occasion.” Came a gentled chastise by one of the housemaids.  “It is hard enough you’re practically taking your work with you.”

Bright blue eyes blinked as Eko peered over her shoulder; “You never know what could happen at such a grand event.” She smiled sheepishly only to then grunt once her corset was tightened a little more. 

•••

Ekosha waved off her carriage upon arrival at the estate.  She took a moment to gather her surroundings, allowing herself the time to see all what she was able. She’d been stuck in some underground chasms once upon a time that she thought were big – this estate surely put such places to shame. She adjusted her satchel made of bleached fabric – white to compliment the dress she wore. Heels clumsily clicked at the ground knowing well enough it would not be long before she would be ripping them off and roaming the corridors barefoot, courtesy be damned. “No thanks,“ she waved off an usher offering fruitful spirits. “I’m on call, need to keep a clear head.” she smiled. Her attention easily pulled by the murals that painted the walls, curiosity drawing her away from the crowds.

“Oh, I wonder what I could explore here..”

Dress

Jahi

RE: Not so frivolous taste - Daesn'yri - 05-20-2023

The ballroom was in full swing. Gowns bellowed as ladies were twirled gracefully by the hands of their dance partners. It was a beautiful scene, one she had never beheld, though she was certain in the large city her people had been barred from such sights were quite common. This place reminded her of her home in some ways, though she was now living in what was deemed inaccessible to her before. There were the rich and plenty, yes, but if one would simply flip the coin over, there also existed the starved and destitute among them. A blind eye given by most just as they had the desert nomads.

The only time they had been noticed is when they had taken what they needed to survive.

So she had simply been wasting time away from the overlooking balconies, far too lost in the grandeur of this home to make heads or tails of direction. Her decorative, beautiful shoes a casualty of the very same. She'd removed them at one point to relax her aching heels, but had been driven off by the commotion of crowds - guests or staff alike. It mattered little to her as she was somewhat experienced in such manners, just as much as she was to get scolded for such lax civility. She didn't see why it mattered anyways, especially at present when none would be able to easily gleen that she was without them.

“Oh, I wonder what I could explore here..”

The vo also would catch her attention,  and she would halt, brows perked up slightly as she beheld the young woman who had spoken. A soft simper would draw her lips as she would edge closer, a soft hum announcing her presence before she would speak, careful and slow. "If you want to explore, I can go with you." Came the dulcet offer, her smile broadening lightly as she tilted her head. "I'm quite curious myself."
Jahi

RE: Not so frivolous taste - Ekosha - 05-21-2023

If you want to explore, I can go with you.

Fine hairs along the back of Ekosha’s neck stood, slightly taken by surprise following the assumption that she was alone for the time being. That none would take attention to her unless the need called for it. It was fine, as she was used to the matter given that it was how things managed to play out while running the clinic. Bright icy blue eyes blinked curiously, though as she turned just to glance over her shoulder before turning enough to face whomever the voice belonged to. I’m quite curious myself.

Ekosha took a moment to observe the young maiden before her. She was dressed to the nines. A bright shining light in the array of dimly lit stars. “Oh—” Surprised to be in the audience of the very bride herself. So much so that common etiquette seemed to fly right out the window as a long awkward pause managed to pass between them. “Sure--! Oh, ah yes—wait..” Her cheeks flushed as she quickly presented a clumsy curtsy.

“It would be an honor my lady,” In what good graces did the historian manage to stumble upon to be granted such an opportunity such as this? “I only hope it will not impede upon this evening that I presume is designed for you.” She considered ripping her heels off presently but dared not to do so openly just yet. However, she'd already told herself she wouldn't go off adventuring in such footwear attire.

Jahi

RE: Not so frivolous taste - Daesn'yri - 05-24-2023

She stood, hands folded before her for a moment that felt so long. Her prior beam tightening lightly with the presence of nerves. Had she perhaps intruded upon the woman where company was not wanted? In a way, she could easily understand that sentiment as she had thus far spent her time trying her best to avoid the growing crowds that roamed such an unfamiliar estate. Perhaps she would have felt more relaxed had they even hosted such a.... gathering on the grounds of the Beleveron manor. Her "parents" had probably felt too suspicious to do such a thing, her "father" having relinquished none of his precautions with her bitter acceptance of the role she was to play. If anything, the guard had unnecessarily tightened.

Like a noose.
“Oh—”

Her fingers tightened slightly upon one another before the unknown lady would seem to scramble herself. “Sure--! Oh, ah yes—wait..” As she dipped into a curtsy, Daesn'yri would quickly hurry to do the same, her cheeks flushing soft pink as she had also forgotten what was seen as common courtesy in these settings. “It would be an honor my lady.” In her rush, her calm and collected vocals would scatter, "N-no need for formality!" Her simper returned, however, in earnest.

“I only hope it will not impede upon this evening that I presume is designed for you.” Her soft eyes would fall slightly, as well as the upturned corners of her lips before she would release a soft, thoughtful hum from her lips. "If it were up to me, we would be outside." She would offer the denial without exploiting the truth of her feelings, voice purposefully even once again. Her fallen glance would touch on the obvious discomfort of the woman's footwear and a soft trill of laughter would leave her as she would attempt to seamlessly avoid such a topic of her happiness. "I'm surprised so many can stand wearing shoes like these for so long. Even dancing in them."
Jahi

RE: Not so frivolous taste - Ekosha - 05-24-2023

This was a valid excuse to get away from the mundane of her work but at the cost of heels and a dress she’d probably never wear again. Her corset felt far too tight and may have extenuated places she felt that were unnecessary. There would be a firm scolding to the maid she put in charge of speaking with the tailor. N-no need for formality! Utter confusion etched along freckled cheeks as glacial gaze blinked as she stared dumbfounded to the bride. For a moment, Ekosha took it upon herself to look over either shoulder to ensure that this was not some sort of set up to get in in a bind. Venturing into uncharted places and worming her way into areas did that to a historian.

Instead, hands interlaced one another, far more excited to venture through these halls rather than entertain the idea of mingling as per the social norm. If it were up to me, we would be outside. Eko could not help but offer an apologetic smile. “The weather has been fair for events too.” she agreed with a half shrug. It would feel less… stuffy if this endeavor was outside too. Not to mention an easier means to run off and hide if the opportunity presented itself. She took a side-step flinching slightly at the discomfort of her shoes riding into her heels. Ekosha mumbled nonsense under her breath though in something in relation to her feet hurting.

I'm surprised so many can stand wearing shoes like these for so long. Even dancing in them. “I wonder the same.” she relented. It was then she took it upon herself to rid her heels, bare toes meeting the chilled marble flooring. “I apologize if this is discourteous but I could not simply stand in them any longer.” she huffe before shoving her shoes into her pack. “Ekosha Frost by the by.” came her casual introduction. “I run a small clinic in Orderstern, but I fancy the oddities of history too.”

Jahi

RE: Not so frivolous taste - Daesn'yri - 05-25-2023

She would allow a slight laugh to depart her lips as the young woman looked questioningly over the curve of her shoulders and she would rise her brows jokingly as she flourishingly show the area behind her with each inquisitive glance. Her simper only growing with amusement. As the somewhat sheepish grimacing smile crossed the woman's face, however, she felt as though she had made the correct choice not to lament her woes of the forced engagement. One that she had eventually agreed to. After all, her life as her own had far passed its expiration date. She should have been dead. The people had whispered it to be so. Her waking up in the gilded sea had told it to be so. She had foolishly held out hope for an unwritten final page, at the very least.

- a fool's hope, mind you.

“The weather has been fair for events too.” She would offer an affirmative nod, soft ocean eyes ebbing to peer out the nearby window where the rays of the sun dwindled through the panes. It was still early, and on the other side of the estate, great billowing pillars of light poured through just like the glissade of the fountains. "The winter just seemed so cold" came the weary exhale, she stretched lightly as if she herself was but one of the unfurling spring flowers basking in the ethereal warmth. "I-it's beautiful though. I'm glad everyone w-was invited." She would also add, perhaps unbidden, but there was joy that even those lacking social status she falsely claimed could attend. They could eat well, drink well. If they were wise, they would indulge in whatever extras their pockets could contain.

“I wonder the same.” She would offer the lady a hand of support in her endeavor of removing her shoes. “I apologize if this is discourteous but I could not simply stand in them any longer.” Her fingers would raise the hem of her gown just enough to reveal her own abandonment. "I lost mine long ago." Came the hushed admittance so that no other passerby would hear the feat. “Ekosha Frost by the by. I run a small clinic in Orderstern, but I fancy the oddities of history too.” She would offer the woman a slight nod of her head in polite acknowledgement. "Arabella Beleveron." Daesn'yri. "A pleasure to meet you! Where would you like to go? And what things of history do you enjoy?" Her inquiry followed her own fascination with the old and haphazard buildings that the dunes had swallowed. Many times against her father's wishes had she delved into the sanctuary of their storied past. He'd always warned that such treasures could be usurped by the sand just as easily as the shifting grains had revealed them. A fickle beast was the serpent of the dunes. Xaagi, they called him. Death. Though such adventures did not so readily spring to her recollections at present. "I haven't been here before, but... as you said, this is my day. I suppose the guard would understand if we managed to get ourselves lost."
Jahi

RE: Not so frivolous taste - Ekosha - 05-25-2023

The idea of an outdoor ceremony sounded splendid all the same. They would have the ability to meander the open streets beneath the bright shining sun. It could just as easily leave room for dangerous just as much as one would indoors. The winter just seemed so cold. Came the maidens sigh. Ekosha had only just returned after a long journey away towards the end of the cold season so she could neither agree nor disagree. I-it’s beautiful though. I’m glad everyone w-was invited. At the same time, the young historian was ripping away her heels, thankful for the added support that was given. “Indeed, it is more favorable to return home to a celebration—” she paused for a moment, biting the inside of her cheek. There was no need to bring up past events.

At last her shoes were removed and her feet, if they could, would have sang gracious hymns of their freedom. She couldn’t help but apologize as it seemed rather uncouth to boldly remove her shoes so openly – in a seemingly public (all the while private) setting. I lost mine long ago. Came the admittance of the other. Glacial gaze cast a mirthful glance as lips tugged in a playful simper in the realization that this one was also just as wise to rid such uncomfortable wear. Arabella Beleveron. Following the introduction to which Ekosha perked up to. A pleasure to meet you! Where would you like to go? And what things of history do you enjoy?

Freckled features lit up like a child introduced to a candy store filled to the brim. “Everything—” She admitted sheepishly, her cheeks flushed. Was this even a reality? “Though I suppose not to stray too far. I don’t want to stray too far lest someone is in need of a physician.” She mumbled under her breath as she pulled her satchel that hung from her shoulder and around. I haven’t been here before, but… as you said, this is my day. I suppose the guard would understand if we managed to get ourselves lost.

“That’s the exciting part of adventuring. Sometimes getting lost is sometimes the path to finding something new.”

Jahi

RE: Not so frivolous taste - Daesn'yri - 05-31-2023

The songs had long faded, tunes and hymns that melded seamlessly into the background, just as flawlessly as they did one another. Despite the glamor and decadence of the surroundings, the world seemed bleak, gray. A backdrop of blurring motion that rushed into a future abhorrent to her with nothing more than a flurry of smiling faces and the offering of congratulations from forked tongues. Perhaps they believed the lies her "mother" had tried to impress upon her. Or perhaps others had heard the rumors her "brother" had. How she was happy to wed a man she didn't know to merely gain a bit of weight to her ppockets. In the end, it mattered little to her, she supposed.

Everything she had ever longed for had died on the desert sand.

Indeed, it is more favorable to return home to a celebration—” Her eyes would fall slightly. Yes, it would be, but what 'home' would she be left to return to, should she have chosen such a path? She would allow the thoughts to dissipate like smoke on the breeze. At least for tonight, she had to be Arabella Beleveron. The happy, pleasant bride.

“Everything—” Her features illuminated and Dae would smile softly at her genuine enthusiasm. Her cheeks flushed lightly, but no objection would fall from her lips in hearing what the young woman was passionate about. After all, such small sparks were priceless. “Though I suppose not to stray too far. I don’t want to stray too far lest someone is in need of a physician.” She would nod, slightly surprised that the Lyon family had taken such a precaution, though she supposed it wouldn't be too farfetched. After all, someone was bound to break an ankle or a leg while dancing in those death traps called shoes.“That’s the exciting part of adventuring. Sometimes getting lost is sometimes the path to finding something new.” She would nod. She'd have liked to cross paths with this woman under different circumstances. She seemed fun. "Very well. Then let's start iiiiinnnn-" She would close her eyes and give a light spin, a thoughtful hum tracing her lips. "-this way!" She would announce as she stopped, facing down one of the various hallways.

She would only give a brief pause before her steps began to carry her down the well illuminated pathway. Her eyes wandered over the various canvases upon the wall before she would stop at a door. Curious fingers would turn the know, finding it to be unlocked as she pressed it open, peeking within to find towers of books upon a smooth shelf.
Jahi

RE: Not so frivolous taste - Ekosha - 06-06-2023

There was nothing more exciting than to be given an opportunity to explore something new. There was a fearful thrill the bubbled within her stomach, excitement that sought desperately to be sated. Ekosha couldn’t recall the last time or if at all, of stepping foot into a place that simply showed off ones wealth. Where there was wealth meant that could lead to an endless supply of possibilities of rare treasures. Of course there was always that chance that paintings or odd artifacts of the like that could be fake – the fun part was deciphering whether or not such pieces rang true. All it took was looking for the finer details.

Words escaped in a breath of awe as Ekosha allowed her eyes to wander the expanding halls. …. This way! Came the brides eager chime. Bright blue eyes blinked as attention was quickly pulled to see her taking the lead. The healer-historian took the skirt of her dress in one hand, abandoning her shoes and quickly followed after. “Wait for me!” she pleaded in a breathless pant. Events were unfolding quickly and Eko was scrambling to keep up.

She came to a scampering pause as feet slid against marble flooring. She wanted to stop at every painting to further inspect them but at the same time, did not want to distance herself too much from Arabella. Ekosha took a moment to collect herself while curiosity bested the blonde-haired maiden assessed a closed door. To their luck, it proved to be unlocked. As the door opened, it was as if the heavens sang in a glimmering light. Ekosha held her breath as she took a step forward; “O-oh.” There was an overwhelming surge of emotions that she did well to swallow back. “There’s so many books!” Immediately she fled to the nearest shelf, delicate index carefully skimming over the spines. “History… Arcana…” she hummed curiously.

Jahi

RE: Not so frivolous taste - Daesn'yri - 06-07-2023

"Wait for me!” Came the exasperated call as she laughed lightly, long hair hiked along with her skirts as she brushed down the luxuriously decadent hallway. She couldn't recall ever being in such an overly extravagant place. The Beleveron house tried, but in the end they didn't quite come close to being as striking as this place. No, while she would call the estate far from quaint, she had to admit that the paintings that hung within the passages were mostly of the family themselves. Her favorite had been an elongated hall that housed portraits of the family lineage from the first to set foot upon Klewyth's shores. A history that she had sadly thought was hers for quite some time. Faces that her mind had carved within its sanctions as her own blood. Her beginnings. Not knowing that she hadn't belonged within them at all. That it was not her face that smiled from those skillfully crafted canvases.

“O-oh.” The other seemed taken aback and she would hold the light weight of the study door open for her to step within before releasing the handle. It ghosted partially closed with but a small hint of sound from well maintained hinges. Her own eyes would wander the shelves, catching a familiar word here and there as her lessons with Babington were far from finished and she pondered briefly if the woman would still be her instructor. After all, she was not content with her current level of incomplete education. “There’s so many books!”

Ekosha wasted no time analyzing the covers, leather spines privy to the caress of her finger as she scanned the titles. Arabella would shift her attention to the decorations within, the statuettes and other carvings and paintings. One of which she assumed to be of her intended and his parents. They were decorated with additional features, ones she found herself absent of. If she spoke the truth, she felt almost.... naked among some of the brightly decorated guests here. They were outlandish by her standards, unaccustomed to seeing horns, tails and further mutations so proudly on display. She couldn't imagine some of the inconveniences they faced. “History… Arcana…” Her gaze would drift to the young woman who accompanied her. "Anything about.... a vast desert?" She would inquire. If she could remember what it was called, perhaps she could send word to any of those she had unknowingly left behind.
Jahi