Hemlock & Lace
|M - TW| heart stops - Printable Version

+- Hemlock & Lace (https://hemlock.rpginit.com/mybb)
+-- Forum: Vufrien (https://hemlock.rpginit.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Odersten (https://hemlock.rpginit.com/mybb/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: |M - TW| heart stops (/showthread.php?tid=81)

heart stops - August - 06-16-2022

It hadn’t been enough, had it? It was hard to tell for that creeping fog was still felt to linger at the edges of a mind. That aggression - a wolf’s ferality far from vanquished as it snarled relentlessly in his ears. An unending echo though this poison granted some small reprieve. Temporary submission that left one room to think, to wonder and hope that this twas not some cruel trick. Deep within there was trust that the herbalist had spoken true but with it came doubt. Had it all been a lie? Surely it was not meant to be this way. Surely the beast’s reigns were to be held much more tightly.

This wasn’t right. It couldn’t be. But it grew ever harder to focus, to dwell upon the wrongs as a body fought so violently to reject all that lay consumed.

Blood and bile painted the floor. Wolven chest heaving in desperation to gain decent breath between each fit where nothing more lay able to fall from slackened jaws discolored by remnants of that bitter tincture. One which tinted saliva in purplish hue as strands dripped freely from teeth and lolling tongue. Just how much of it had been absorbed? How much coursed through the hound’s veins before a moon could seize hold? Answers the goat did not hold but he could not ignore the near electric sensation that traced over skin, a persistent tingle that one could not shake as it collected upon the touch of forced expulsion.

August could only pray the dawn came quickly, that this was merely something to ride out until the morning light. But so long as this stole away the gnawing dread of a wolf, the terror of possibilities, it would all be worth. Though already did he hold regret. The usual excuses had not fallen from his tongue, work had not stolen him away - perhaps upon the vain hope that this would have worked better. That a mind would be wholly his own rather than still facing the razor’s edge. All he’d asked was that she remain in her room. Claims of unease issued from his tongue though could give her no reasons as to why.

He should have forged some lie. Made an excuse in hopes of convincing her not to stray despite having free roam of the estate any other night. He should have requested that Ajax take her away from this place. Bring her to the cathedral, to the safety of another’s home, bring her anywhere but here. Tell her he was sick, that it was all for the best. Tell her something, anything she may believe so long as she did not risk an encounter with a monster. For that is what he was, there was no other description proper for one who could not control their own mind.

And yet the hound could not find solace in what should have been said. He knew her to linger within these walls and one could only pray she did not wake. That the scrapping of claws against the tile did not shriek too loudly whenever fingers curled, that the air around her room would not be tainted by wolvish whines as that overwhelming discomfort surged anew. ‘Just stay in your room.’ A plea she would never hear aloud as it echoed on repeat in his thoughts.

--
i'll add a table later 8|
note; took partial dosage of wolfsbane, wereboofer body obviously doesn't like bein poisoned
symptoms: nausea/vomiting, weakened pulse, labored breathing, numbness + tingling of tongue/mouth

RE: heart stops - Juliet - 08-25-2022

Fifty-eight.  Fifty-nine.  Sixty.  Another minute past the hour marked by the dull tick of a clock.  Ticking, chiming away.  Another fruitless minute spent on this battleground between sleep and awareness. 

I couldn't explain why it was so difficult to fall tonight, to drift into that horror land where the dead came to life.  It was like my consciousness knew of some great danger that my eyes didn't.  Or maybe my mind grew tired of feeling that jagged comb pull and tug at my hair or the sting of his palm on my cheek.  I couldn't help but wonder if other girls my age also counted the seconds until they eventually fell asleep.

Eleven.  Twelve.  Thirteen.  Click.  Click.  Click.  Suddenly I couldn't hear the clock that continued to tick on the wall announcing the hour with a series of chimes.  I was cold as if I'd been submerged in a bath of unheated water, trembling like a lone leaf in the wind.  I even wondered if the sound was just my mind playing tricks on me.  Click.  Click.  But I knew, deep down, that something wasn't right.

Shaking fingers curled around Pig's hilt, keeping it close to my hip as I approached my door.  I peeked out from behind the crack I'd made, its hinges letting out a soft whine when I opened it further and peered down into the darkness of the hallway.  Nothing.  Perhaps it had just been Ajax finishing the remainder of his duties before retiring for the night. 

That's when I heard it, the sound of an animal.

It was a strange, whining cry that made me freeze like one of the many busts decorating the manor.  Run.  Run!  Shaking hands held Pig tightly.  "Mr Ajax?"  There was only the answer of nails on stone.  No human voice.  No comforting light breaking the foreboding clutch of night.  "M-Mr August?" 

RE: heart stops - August - 01-10-2023

Mr August? Fearful curiosities cast from the down hall brought a heart to sink. Alarm quick to fill the gleam of a creature’s rosen hues even as instinct bid them to stare. Quiver in a fight to find fixation against the cloud of toxins, dancing with an ever gnawing dread excitement that that voice would come within reach. Possibility flooded his thoughts, it brought ears to pull back in agitation, resentment of self before talons would peel from the floor. For while one mind may fret that of a beast stirred in its own desires, the thrill of a hunt denied only by that which combated it now.

All that fought against the rush, aggression dulled only by the poison forcing it into submission. Deadly traces of ferality still lurked beneath the surface as a constant reminder. This curse created monsters. Ones with fangs meant to snap and claws to tear away at the hide of another, power to shatter bone… to inflict the very same affliction upon others. Doom them to the jaws of a slavering beast who bore no control of their own mind. Such a fate would not - could not - be allowed to befall another by his hand.

Especially her.

Yet a hound could not trust himself for while a mind remained the pieces were fragmented, distant. It bid curving talons to peel from the floor, to sink against a wolven crown instead as if pressure and puncture of flesh would bring focus. That it would bid sounds to quiet and prevent senses from beholding the tones of one so treasured straying from her quarters as she had done so many nights before. An allowance that would never be taken from her and yet on this particular moon he prayed she would have remained in place. Just this once.

Snarl rose unbidden, banishing that stricken cry as anger and pain demanded a host to remove the claws that curled so tightly against their skull. Spinning thoughts hoping for silence, to be rid of the way toxins coursed and weakened. How they wished for a girl to turn back, to not stray further than the sliver of light streaming down the hall from the crack of a door. Part of him wished for one to leave, ignore all that carried on down the hall, another part ached for steps to draw near. Mimicry seizing hold of stained lips, animalistic features contorting as a tongue shifted awkwardly against razor fangs.

A mockery of human speech as it slurred upon snarled phrase, “Get back to your room.” Lyrics holding a strange familiarity to them even as they dripped upon morphed tone. ‘Please. Please go back.’ Phrases which never rise as fangs snap against one another, halted by the presence resting beneath the surface. By the strings of tinted saliva that streamed so freely in a body’s attempt to banish all one had consumed.

RE: heart stops - Juliet - 01-11-2023

For a brief interlude, there was a moment of idleness from the hall, an eerie quiet that may have quelled another's fear of what lie behind that veil of darkness.  I had learned to be afraid of the stillness when the world settled in for the night.  When crickets plucked their nightly song, you knew what they were and that they weren't going to rip you apart.  When the streets hummed with the rare carriage or the slurred drawl of a drunken tune, you were safe.  Back then I didn't have the hooked blade which I currently held onto until my quivering knuckles were a violent white.  Back then, I knew that I was just a helpless rat scurrying my way to survival.

Rats were smarter than most people gave them credit for but like all beasts, they were controlled by instinct.  When danger reared its ugly head, they knew to flee into their holes where it was safe.  There, they could avoid the ravenous swipe of the cat's paw or the descending talons of the hungry hawk.  If I really was a rat, I would have listened to the voice that told me to go back into my hole, back into the familiar space of my room.

A macabre snarl.  A distorted attempt at a human voice.  "Get back to your room."  Except it wasn't mine nor was it my inner dialogue.  It didn't belong to the stern but well-meaning mr Ajax nor was it the gentle drawl of mr August.

In all of my 16 years, I'd never known such raw and primal fear.  Even though I internally screamed for my feet to move it was as if I'd found myself glued to the intricate tiles on the floor.  My breathing almost stilled and all I could hear between the clicks of bestial talons was the violent crescendo of my heart.  Pig slipped from my trembling grasp and crashed to the ground with a deafening clamour.  I scurried to return it to my hand before ducking behind one of the tables that held one of many vases at its centre.  My pulse screamed and breath hitched while praying that whatever manner of creature possessed the manor, mr August would soon find it. 

My eyes closed tightly.  My fingers curled around Pig's hilt that was pressed to my chest so tight that I thought to eventually fuse with the weapon.  Please don't come.  Please, mr August.  Mr Ajax.  Wake up.

RE: heart stops - August - 01-17-2023

Nothing but silence graced his ears. A reprieve Augustus could only pray would last until the sun may rise. That there would be nothing to spark the ire of a beast nor tempt it further. Already there was panic in the way one’s piercing gaze stared unblinking down the very halls another hid. The bestial hunger behind those eyes something he could not hide. A predator ever watchful even as it stirred beneath the subdual of toxins.

Those which dulled the usual brightness - the friendliness - of rose-tinted gaze, made motion more sluggish, left a body feeling drained. But it wasn’t enough. That wolf was still there. It still made itself known in waves of appalling notions, in whispers that were increasingly hard to ignore as the night pressed on and the initial dosage threatened to ebb.

Another drawn out whine as fingers curled more harshly, driving talons ever deeper as new tides of crimson fell in steady rhythm against the tile. It was restless that creature. Unrelenting. It will never work. It will never be enough. Dread surged upon the wolf’s words, fangs snapping more of fear than true aggression.

‘Go back. Go back. Go back. Just get back to your room. Do not move too swiftly. Do not make a sound. Do not…’ Worried phrase cut painfully short as rapidly ears would rise upon the clatter of silver. The only blade she was known to carry sounded out as if it twere the squall of a injured beast. At this point it may as well have been for even after all returned to silence another’s panic still laced the air.

Where breath may still and falter the wild strumming of a heart rose above it all. And no matter how one may hope to prevent the senses from picking up on it… there was no banishing instinct. It could not be pushed away or ignored. It was a beacon for the desperate as claws peeled from where they hooked against flesh. The shuffling of an overgrown hound no longer contained to the room ahead as finally it strayed after the beckons of the hall.

Horned crown held low as talons clicked ever nearer. The faint glimmer of those eyes regrettably searching for one known. Tracing over flickering illumination of still creaked doorway, chasing the light which carved a path through the darkness, toward the undeniable thrum of another’s heart.

Stained lips curling in the unconscious flash of fangs the moment fixation was found. There was enough of a mind to bring recognition, there always was for the cursed moons could never find pity enough to drown that out. No. It forced one locked beneath the surface to register all that occurred outside of their control. And yet that was something that could not happen now, one undeserving would not meet the fangs of what was felt to be a shared body.

A mind stuck in overdrive. The instinct to lash out fought with every ounce of his being, forever unknowing on just how long it could last. Uncertain on if poisons truly would prove enough to keep a beast at bay. Knowing that teeth alone were not needed to bring about harm.

RE: heart stops - Juliet - 01-30-2023

Long ago there was a girl known as Anna Lee and she wanted nothing more than to die.  She never feared the prospect of that unknown void, the inevitable darkness that came after one's last breath or the uncertainty of what awaited when her heart stilled.  Morbidly she wondered if it would hurt to die.  There were times when dark thoughts possessed her hand into holding a blade tip against the frail flesh of her chest only to hesitate and place it back on  Hiram's dinner plate.  Always next to the calf's tongue.  No matter how badly Anna Lee thought she wanted to die, she could never bring herself to do it.  Perhaps it was self-preservation or that primal survival instinct, the same now which told me to live. 

I could hear a creature's breath, the languid click of its nails on the polished stone growing louder with each powerful stride.  Though I could not see the beast, I could imagine the raw strength coiling beneath its sinew - a strength that could kill a scared little girl. 

Where was Mr August?  My gaze attempted to peer down the hall, beyond the edge of the marble-topped table, where I knew his quarters to be.  There I saw the shadow approaching and it felt as if I were frozen.  In truth, I was.  I was terrified, petrified like the victims of Medusa's vindictive stare.  I couldn't even breathe as I caught a faint glance at the beast.  A towering creature that would easily devour me, tear my flesh from the bone and turn me into a memory.  I swallowed hard when I managed to collect my wits and look at the opposite end of the hall.

Mr Ajax.  I remembered the necklace he'd given me and the cautionary words accompanying it.  Use only when threatened by fairy tales.  Back then it made little sense but now, in the face of a savage story woven into reality, I understood. 

Could I make it to the servants' quarters?  Could I make it to Mr Ajax before the beast could reach me? 

A dainty hand reached up onto the table, seeking fingers grabbing the first item they could reach.  I held the vase close, eyes darting through the darkness searching for anywhere to lure the beast away.  When I noticed the room a few doors down was open, I took the chance.  The resonating shattering echo of pottery was almost deafening as the vase fell into shards on the wall.  Only when I was certain that the beast was fixated upon it would I attempt to flee towards the servants quarters.

Don't look back.  Don't look back!

RE: heart stops - August - 03-28-2023

There was nothing I wanted more than to ignore the hammering rhythm of her heart, the unmistakable scent of fear which radiated from her very being. And yet each where a sign of prey, each drew the mind of a beast in and sparked that sickening thrill. One that could not be fully ignored as it clawed to the surface beneath the haze. It made my stomach lurch far more than the swill of toxins taken to keep such notions at bay. A bitter taste that numbed the tongue, bleared the mind, and yet did not blot it all out completely. I had hoped for more. An undeniable sense of control unlike all those moons prior. This was nothing like what was promised. The foretellings of a witch not blossoming into fruition. It’s debilitating, she’d said, it will subdue the howling of a beast within.

Well it didn’t do it enough. I’d rather be dead than hold the disgusting ideals of a beast now. It was wrong to feel this, to hold the desire of tearing another to shreds without a second thought. I didn’t want this. I’d never asked for it and she did not deserve it nor the repercussion of dwelling with a monster. I wanted nothing but the best for her… and fangs seeking to devour flesh was far from the promises of sanctuary made. She did not deserve to feel inescapable terror within her own home. No anxiety over a creature’s return to spur her from all I wished for her to have, anything I could provide.

But after this I wouldn’t blame her.
One could not be faulted if she chose to leave, to withdraw ever further within herself. The opposite of what I hoped for her though it hardly mattered what I wanted. It was her. Everything was her decision to make after tonight. So long as she survived this… no, when she did. Ajax was home. Surely he heard the commotion. Any moment now he would whisk her to safety and leave a deranged mind to rot. Where was he?

Question left unanswered as time seemed to stretch for an eternity. Paws refusing to cease their unsteady patrol as a hound’s mind fixated upon the feast, the taste of blood that may soon pool over a tongue and spill between teeth. Stop. Keep away. Let her escape. And yet a monster held inklings of where she hid. No matter how I wanted to stop, to ignore the subtle shifting of cloth. I could not. Though in an instant the quiet is broken as a vase flies across the spaces between us and shattering glass echoes in my ears. Scattering pieces bidding focus to shift, to rove over all that collected and clinked anew as they found a new home upon the tile.

Yet even as paces began toward it there was something more which drew him back. Fractured breath, the sound of feet darting in the opposite direction filling my ears when the ringing stopped. It became inescapable, intrusive in the way a monster’s desires claimed the mind. I wanted to ignore it, to keep focus upon the glass and let it find my tongue. But a will is weak beneath the moon’s change and with a dry heave turned snarl, eyes turned upon her. Nails a clicking beat against the floor as beastly frame darted in efforts to block her from the light of her salvation. Leave space for nothing but confrontation.

RE: heart stops - Juliet - 04-10-2023

What manner of beast threatened this sanctuary appeared like a bastion, a feral sword drawn for the promise of barbaric gore.  Though it appeared in lupine form, it took on the role of a thief for its terrifying stature robbed me of breath, of voice, of motion save for the quivering of my hands and the racing of my heart.  It thrummed behind my ribs with growing intensity, deafening all but the low growl that gurgled from the beast’s throat.  An overwhelm of emotions surged to the crumbling damn of my lashes blurring the face of the creature. 

I was afraid. 

I was more afraid than all the times I saw Hiram’s rage or when he threatened to kill the family that lived on maple lane if I didn’t obey.  Perhaps it was because back then, I wanted to die so there was no reason to fear it.  Death equated to freedom for a girl who could not be a girl but, instead, was forced to be a doll.  A forever doll.  It would take nearly years before I realized... I wanted to live.

Please...  A quiet plea, a hushed prayer circling my mind for whatever God would listen. 

What felt like forever - my mind trapped within this loop of time - had been just seconds before I found enough courage to make the first move, a lurching motion, a lunge with the hook-blade held tightly until my knuckles were white and my palms ached from the pressure.  It was a practised art that Mr August fervently instilled into my muscles until it became akin to memory.  Though it still felt awkward, my feet moved forward with a burst of adrenaline and I ripped the vial from my neck to toss at the beasts feet.  A plume of powder rose from the shattered glass.

If I didn’t fight now, I was going to die. 

“Papa!”  A screaming cry burst from my throat as I sought to sink my blade into the beast’s shoulder, impeding any movements it may make.  “Mr Ajax!” 

RE: heart stops - August - 04-19-2023

Slavering jaws parted in heavy pant, a strain for a body to move as it did while poison still coursed through the veins which fueled it. Never enough. It was never enough to silence the call of aggression no matter how I hoped that any moment now it would be. That some missing piece would snap into place and steal away that wolven mind, silence it beneath the promised afflictions of wolfsbane. Yet such reprieve was hardly granted as unfocused stare hoped to register upon another. Fixation upon unsteady breath, the terror which tugged at the rhythm of her heart. It excited, it terrified.

It bid a wolven mind to tear that girl limb from limb. Only for temporary haze to mask such notions as the perfume of powdered toxins claimed senses a new. Yet I’d heard the cry which fled her lips… the very calling entirely undeserving, especially now. No matter how pride, emotion blossomed in my chest it could not be relished in. It felt wrong. No guardian, none who bore such a title should place one cared for in such danger. Nothing - not even a curse of blood - should bid one to wish violence upon their kin.

And yet mine did. A stumble in once assured step as nerves came alight with the smooth puncture of silver through flesh. The very material I’d insisted a blade lay crafted from… and yet a death blow this was not.

She should have pierced my throat.

Followed the tender curve of it toward my chin and driven that hook like a stake into the very jaws which thought to grip her. Seal a mouth closed with nothing more than a blade so that they could not bring about harm.

But her aim was not true. Perhaps resolve had faltered, maybe she did not wish to kill but instead subdue the very beast which frightened her. All of it heard within her pulse, in the very ways she screamed for one to listen. Get your ass out here Ajax. Whisk her away before this could go any further. Seal her behind the safety of closed doors. Insist another would tend to a beast’s remains, remove it from their home… just get her out of harms way.

Though until that happened, ears would pin. Stained lips curling to reveal ivory fangs, a threat carried out even as it ground muscle further against a blade. Brought it to scrape to bone and sever paths of nerves, a numbness not yet felt against this maddening haze. Only for a limb not pierced to swipe out, hoping to shove her back and bring that frame into better view so that razor teeth could snap in place of talons.

RE: heart stops - Juliet - 05-10-2023

On the surface of the beast's ivory snarl, wicked fangs flashing a promise of destruction, I saw a reflection of primal ruin.  The same which plagued me when I first heard the hound pacing the marble of the hall.  This was a fear that left my knees trembling beneath the linens of my nightgown as I lunged forward with every intention to defend myself.  Suddenly the fabric felt tight and suffocating as if one wrong snag would leave me open to the promise of salivating violence dripping from the beast's maw.  I wanted to be rid of them, of it and this hell-borne nightmare.  Mr. August had bought Pig for me in the hopes that I could defend myself from these night terrors or any threat that encroached upon my mortality... I never imagined I'd actually have to use it.

Through the handle of my blade, I could feel the dog's meat sever as the rounded edge found purchase into my target's flesh.  I recoiled from the shock of it, pulling the weapon out quickly before losing my grip and dropping it to the floor.  The sound of it made me pause, made my fearful eyes hesitantly lower to where it lay in a small puddle of blood.  No, no, no.  Then I saw Hiram's fist reaching for me, his fingers turning to claws that bit into the delicate skin of my leg.  I cried out a horrid sound conjoined with pain and fear.

"You don't have to be afraid here, Julie."  I stared at the ceiling back then as I lay, sleepless, in my bed.  "I won't let any harm come to you.  Ajax and I..."  Though my guardian wasn't here, I could feel his hand wipe away the worry from my brow.  "We'll protect you."

"Now, go to sleep..."  But it wasn't mr. August's voice lulling away the fear and the adrenaline that had lit a fire in my veins.  Why did my body suddenly feel so heavy?  My vision blurred and I stumbled while trying to get away from the canine's grasp lest it do more harm.  Before I knew it - the last thing I recalled before succumbing to the darkness - was a stalwart figure standing between me and the danger, the snarl of fangs and withdrawn claws, my hand reaching out to them before it went limp against the cold, hard floor and I was wholly enveloped in a warm, comforting hum.

-Permission given to have Ajax come rescue her uwu-